Chapter 20

"The service was beautiful" Ms. April said as we rode back to my house in the Limo.

"Yea it was" I said looking down in my lap as I twiddled my fingers. I quickly swiped a tear away before looking over at Jessie. "You alright?" I asked and she nodded before resting her head on my shoulder and I rested my head on top of hers.

"We're gonna be okay. I promise" I said taking hold of her hand and rubbing my thumb across the back of it.

"I know. It's just still so hard to believe this. I can't believe she's gone." It's been two weeks since mom's death and everything's been so eerie. Until today it still felt like mom was still in the hospital, but seeing her body in that casket, it was real. She looked beautiful in her casket, she looked at peace. She wasn't fighting cancer anymore, she wasn't suffering, but the selfish part of me wished she was still here.

"I can't either sissy."

"The only good thing about this is mom's not hurting, and I get to be with you." she sighed and I nodded against her head. Within these two weeks, we had a lot of things to figure out aside from Mom's funeral, and one of those was deciding what we were gonna do about where Jessie lived. I suggested that I would come live in Virginia so that Jessie would be able to finish school, but Jessie insisted on coming to live with me. She didn't necessarily have friends here and she enjoyed being in LA much more than she enjoyed Virginia. Because of that we spent our time packing up her things as well as putting together mom's service.

Once we arrived back at the house, we already saw cars lined up outside awaiting our arrival. We were hosting a gathering at the house in honor of my mother's passing. The limo came to a stop and we filed out of the car before making our way into the house.

Troy, Trey's manager, left the burial a little earlier so that someone would be there to let people into our backyard since we stayed a little longer to see my mom get buried and covered. After getting out the car, I walked into my mom's house and made my way up the steps to my room. I slipped out of my dress and pulled some jeans from my one of my drawers. Stepping into my jeans, I pulled them up my calves before jumping a little to help get them up my thighs. Once I buttoned my jeans around my waist, I walked into my closet to find a loose top to wear since it was so hot.

"Who is it?" I called as a knock came at my door

"Trey"

"Come in" I said before he opened the door and shut it behind him once he saw that I was changing. "What's up?" I asked looking in his direction once I finally decided on a red chiffon top.

"Nothing. I just came to check on you." he said as he loosened his tie before slipping it over his head and throwing it on the bed. I slipped my shirt on before going to the mirror to remove the many pins I had holding my hair in a bun.

"I'm as good as I can be I guess" I said, sighing once the pain from the pins digging into my scalp was gone. I fluffed the curls that remained before turning around to see Trey changing his clothes  as well and I leaned against the dresser and smiled. Trey had been spending most nights with me ever since my mother died and though it made things somewhat confusing, I was happy to have his company.

"What?" Trey asked as slid his button up off and I shook my head and crossed my arms across my chest

"Nothing" I said looking down at my feet as I scrunched my toes in the pink plush carpet. "Just...I really appreciate you being here for me" I said looking up to see him walking over to me. "It's been a tough month, and you didn't have to do all that you did, but I'm glad that you did" I said blinking away the tears that threatened to fall from my eyes.

Trey uncrossed my arms and placed them around his waist before wrapping his arms around me.

"I told you, I wouldn't have been anywhere else. You needed me, and I wanted to be here for you, for Jessie and for your mom."