Chapter 18

Trey

"Hey Trey, what are you doing here?" Ms. Montgomery asked when I walked into her hospital room. It had been a couple of weeks since I got here and she was still in the hospital. She showed no major signs of improvement but she wasn't getting significantly weaker either. Her doctor said she that since she was stable enough she could leave and begin her chemo treatments and radiation again. Though that was the best news she's gotten since we've been here, she wasn't too excited about it. She didn't like the chemo, but it was her only option.

"I just came to see how you were doing." I said with a smile as I sat down in the chair next to her bed. I had been here everyday this week with Channel, but I wanted to come by myself today. I wanted the chance to talk to her mom alone.

"Is Channel with you?" she asked and I shook my head.

"No I came alone." I said and She smiled.

"It's funny. You two seem almost inseparable." she said causing us to both laugh.

"Just like old times huh?"

"Definitely. Your mother and I thought you two would never get along and once you finally did you two were velcro."

"You know I only picked on her because I had a crush on her." I said smiling

"Oh trust me I know. But my daughter's strong, she wasn't about to let you beat up on her."

"Definitely not. She sent me to the nurse with some bloody noses a few times." I said causing both of us to laugh.

"You know I really appreciate you being here with her through all of this. I know it's not easy for her or her sister. I hate putting them through this."

"You're not putting them through anything. You're sick, but so what. You have cancer but it doesn't have you, and your faith is strong, you'll be fine. Nothing's gotten worse over the past week so let's just pray that everything turns around for the better. And as for Channel and Jessie, I'm always gonna be there for them, and for you too. No matter what I'm doing, or where I am I'm the world. You can always call me." I said and a smile appeared on her face.

"That means a lot and I'm sorry I pushed you away. I shouldn't have done that." She said with a solemn expression.

"You don't have to apologize for that. I get it, I hurt Channel and in doing that, I know I hurt you too. I'm the one that needs to apologize." I said honestly as I scooted closer and took her hand. I knew Ms. Montgomery was protecting herself and her daughter by pushing me away and I didn't blame her. It hurt when it happened, but I understood. I brought all of it on myself.

"You've really grown up Trey" she said with a smile. "I'm proud of you"

"Thanks Ms. Montogomery" I said

"You know, you can still call me mom. You're still the closest thing I have to a son, you'll be my son in law soon anyway." she said with a smirk as we both laughed. Though I hoped it would be true, I wasn't very confident that it would be. Channel was very comfortable with me now, but, as much as I want it, I don't know how possible it is to get a second chance.

Channel

I jogged down the stairs in a rush to make the constant rapping at the door stop. Once I pulled it open, I was completely shocked to see Elliot standing on my mothers door step.

"What are you doing here?" I asked

"Hey Channel" He said stepping to me as if he wanted a hug. I placed my hand up stopping him, I wasn't here for it.