River Phoenix Imagine

It was Christmas Eve and my boyfriend of two years, River, and I were finishing up decorating for friends and family coming over tomorrow for dinner.
River was in the living room listening to records and sprucing up while I made gingerbread men cookies.

"(Y/N), are you almost done?" River called from the next room over.

"Almost, why?"

"When you are, come in here. I wanna show you something."

"Okay, one second."

I put the sheet into the oven, washed my hands again, took off my apron and walked into the living room.

"What is it?"

"Come here, princess." River smiled, staying where he was standing,

I laughed and walked over to him. He put his arms around my waist.
I raised an eyebrow, silently asking him, "now what is it?'"

River kept one arm around me and pointed up to the ceiling. He had hung a mistletoe there.

"Aw, River," I said.

He smiled and leaned down and kissed me.

"I love you,." He said once he pulled away.

"I love you, too."

The Christmas tree lights made River's eyes glow more than usual, and he hugged me closer.

---

River and I sat down in front of the fireplace once we finished everything.

"Merry Christmas Eve, (Y/N). I wouldn't want to spend it with anyone else." River said quietly, kissing me on the op of the head.

"I wouldn't want to spend it with anyone else, either. Only you." I replied, smiling.

River bit his lip, looking at the fire. He turned back to me. "I almost forgot, but this is for you." He took a shiny wrapped box out from behind him and handed to me.

"I was gonna wait and give it to you tomorrow, but it's still eve, so I thought you might want it now."

I smiled big and carefully unwrapped it. I opened the box and inside there was a locket in shaped of a heart. One side had River engraved tiny and the other side had my name. The year, 1988, was engraved on the bottom. I took it out of the box and opened it. Inside, there was the photo of me and River when we had first kissed, the picture his friend Wil took.

"Oh, River, It's so beautiful. I love it. Thank you."

"It's not as beautiful as you,. but I'm glad you like it."

"Will you put it on me?" I asked.

"Of course."

I placed it in his hands and he moved my hair away from the back of my neck. He gently put it in place around my neck and snapped the clasp shut.

I turned back around and kissed him, then hugged him. I couldn't had been more lucky.

I eventually fell asleep in River's arms, in front of the warm fireplace, with the lights dim, and the smell of cookies floating through the house, hearing his light breathing and heart-beat. This was why the last two years of being with River on Christmas was the best, even though every time I was with him it felt like Christmas.

a/n: aww river looks so cute with a santa hat. i hope you liked it!! :)