Chapter Eleven

I was going out on a date with Harry. Harry Styles. On a Tuesday night. I didn't know what I was going to do. All I knew was that we were not staying at my house, where he could pull all those classic moves.

I was going to keep everything very casual. Even what I was wearing seemed like I wasn't trying too hard. My Toms (courtesy of Louis for my last birthday), my tie-dyed shorts, and a white v-neck t-shirt.

I looked over at the clock. It read 6:57. He had three minutes...well five, if you counted the two minute leeway, to get here.

I opened up my laptop to try writing my history essay again, but nothing would come. I looked over at the clock. It read 6:59.

He had one minute.

I watched the seconds whir by, and then I saw the clock change to 7:00.

And right at that very moment, my doorbell rang.

I rushed down the stairs and opened the door, running a hand through my long hair. He stood there, looking...so beautiful. I couldn't help but feel my heart jump out.

"Hi Styles," I said, smiling. "You're on time."

"You didn't really give me a choice," he teased.

"You didn't have to come."

"Well, I wanted to," Harry replied, his lips turning upwards into that infamous smirk. "So, what did you have planned?"

I stared at him for a minute, trying to process what I had planned exactly. I didn't really have much. All I knew was I wanted to get him talking. Relationships are built on communication.

"Follow me." I took his hand, and I felt his fingers intertwine with mine.

"Wow, you're holding my hand. I must have done something right," he said, with a hint of surprise. I just laughed, tugging him towards the streets. "So, Blake, what's this date you've got planned?"

"Walk," I replied. "And then when we get hungry, find somewhere to eat."

"What?" he asked.

"What's wrong?" I wondered, hoping this wasn't too vague or too unplanned for him. Judging from him, I thought I'd try out the 'I-didn't-give-this-too-much-thought' approach.

Maybe I should stop experimenting.

"It's just not very...planned. That's all," he said, shrugging.

I grinned.

"You gotta live in the moment, Styles," I said, letting go of his hand and walking backwards in front of him.

He walked forward, trying to keep up with me, just watching me for a moment. I saw as his face broke out into a huge grin as he took my hand, and I turned around and went back to walking forwards.

"That's what Louis says all the time," he murmured, after we had been walking for a bit.

"Says what?" I wondered, looking over at him.

"I have to live in the moment," he replied. "I just have a hard time doing that."

"Really? You seem pretty spontaneous to me," I answered, referring to the fact that he hates commitment.

He knew what I was talking about, but he didn't acknowledge it explicitly. He just shook his head.

"I hate change," he explained. I raised my eyebrows in surprise.

He waited for me to speak, but I didn't offer anything. I wasn't really sure how to respond to that.

"I hate the idea that something you've had your whole life won't be there anymore," he carried on. "You know?"