Chapter Fifty

I was sitting at the piano in the music room at school, all alone. I didn't know if we were still going to practice for the gala, and I'm pretty sure Harry made it clear that it wasn't going to happen, but I wanted to sing anyways.

I just wanted to distract myself for a few moments to forget about how awful of a person I was, or how awful of a situation I was in right now.

The only people who talked to me right now were Niall and Chloe. The rest of the school looked like they wanted me to disappear right there and then.

And if I could make myself do that, I would.

I took in a deep breath, starting to play the piano. The chords started to flow from my fingertips, and I closed my eyes.

I started to sing:

Oh no I see

A spider web it's tangled up with me

And I lost my head

The thought of all the stupid things I said

Oh no what's this

A spider web and I'm caught in the middle

So I turned to run

The thought of all the stupid things I've done

Coldplay seemed to really understand me at this moment, and I couldn't help but feel tears spring to my eyes. God, I wanted to get out of this mindset.

But these lyrics sank in deeper, and I couldn't stop.

That is, until the door swung open. I immediately stopped playing to see who was there.

And, lo and behold...

It was Harry.

We made eye contact, and he shook his head.

"Didn't think you'd be in here," he said, coldly.

"I – I was just playing," I said. "Just messing around."

He didn't acknowledge me speaking.

"Whatever," he shrugged. "So, can we just get this practice over with?"

"Oh, you still want to do the whole gala thing?" I asked, surprised. I thought he'd want to find someone else or put an end to it all together.

"Well, I'm sure as hell not going to cancel on the senior home. They've been waiting ages to hear us perform and it's this Saturday."

"Oh, right," I murmured.

"Just because we've had something come between us doesn't mean we shouldn't follow through," he continued, harshly. "Unless you want to back out? Unless you want to disappoint them?"

"No, no, of course not," I stuttered.

"Good," he muttered. "Now, let's get this over with."

"Harry, I'm –"

"No, please, stop, Blake," he said, shaking his head. "Don't try to apologize. Don't try to talk about anything other than the performance. Just, please, don't try. Because nothing you say is going to make this any better."

I nodded, silently. He stood beside me, as I positioned myself at the piano.

I started to play the chords for Good To You, which seemed utterly ironic because I was nowhere near good to him.

At all.

Everyone's around, no words are coming out.

And I can't find my breath, can we just say the rest with no sound.