Chapter Forty Three

"Oh come on, I just want to hear a little bit," I begged Harry, when we were rehearsing for the show in the music room at school.

He shook his head no.

"Please, pretty, pretty please?" I asked again.

"No, it's a surprise, Blake," he told me, for the umpteenth time.

"Oh come on, Harry," I sighed. I widened my eyes, innocently.

"Nothing you say or do will get me to sing you my solo song."

"Well, can you tell me what it is at least?" I tried again.

"No," he responded, adamantly.

"What if I vowed not to kiss you until you told me?"

"Ha!" he scoffed. "You don't have that willpower."

I opened my mouth to protest, but as soon as I did, he stepped closer towards me. He kept closing that distance we had between us until I could barely breathe my own air. His lips were inches away from mine, and I could smell his sweet and familiar scent. My heart rate went up, but I refused to move.

"Now, tell me you don't want to kiss me," he whispered. His voice sent shivers down my spine.

"I don't." I could barely get those two words out.

His eyes were piercing through mine, and I could physically feel my knees weaken.

"Say it like you mean it," he replied.

"I did mean it," I tried again.

He rolled his eyes.

"You're a terrible liar," he said.

"Shut up," I fought back.

"Blake -"

"Oh for God's sake," I said, grabbing the fabric of his shirt and pulling him into me.

His lips pressed down on mine, and we moved with one another across the room, kissing and holding onto to each other because we never wanted to be apart. He held me to his chest, as if he let me go I would suddenly be whipped away from him.

The door opened and we pulled away from one another.

It was Louis and Chloe, hand in hand. They both had grins, much like ours.

"Hey guys, what's up?" Harry asked, smoothing out his clothes. He looked over at me and placed a few stray hairs back.

"Oh, I was just, erm, wandering," Louis said, looking over at Chloe.

"He was going to play the piano," she admitted.

"I didn't know you played, Lou," I told him, surprised.

"I dabble," he shrugged.

"Well, let's hear then, mate," Harry gestured towards the instrument.

He shook his head.

"No, no way," he argued. "I will not -"

"Blake, are you in here?" It was a girl named Hannah, who was in a lower year.

"Yeah?" I asked, turning towards the petite girl.

"Janet's looking for you."

She walked off, and I sighed.

"Oh goodie," I breathed. What could she possibly want now? I said I wanted nothing to do with whatever she intended as revenge, and I meant it. She had no interview or reference letter or dream internship to hold over my head. No secrets against Harry, nothing.

"Should I come with you?" Harry wondered.

"Why?" I asked.

"So that I can apologize," he replied.

"Oh, no, no not right now." I didn't know what she wanted, and I didn't want Harry walking into the lion's den unarmed. "I'll go see what she wants from me."

I give him a quick kiss and walk out of the room, past Louis and Chloe. Down the corridor, I see the newsroom door slightly ajar and open it to enter.

Janet is just sitting there, typing furiously at something on her laptop.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked, my voice indifferent.

"Erm yeah, hang on," she replied, finishing off the document.

She tapped away at the final keys before looking up at me.

"So, Blake, I just wanted to say...we ended off on the wrong foot and I'm sorry about that," she said, her voice dangerously sweet.

"Okay?" I replied, unsure.

"And the whole assignment thing - I won't ask you again."

"Okay," I answered. "You know, I'm sorry I couldn't help you. But, I do think he's sorry."

"Sure," she said, but not really like she believed me. "Anyways, that's all taken care of."

"What do you mean?" I wondered in confusion. My eyebrows bunched together as I looked at her.

"I mean, I won't be bothering you about it - it's all taken care of."

"I heard you, I just don't know what you mean -"

"It really doesn't concern you. It's quite alright." The iciness in her voice was scaring the hell out of me.

I narrowed my eyes in suspicion.

"Janet, what the hell did you do?"

"Now, now, don't get angry with me. There's no need to raise your voice."

I sighed in frustration.

"Janet, I swear to God, stop messing with him. Just let him come to you, he does feel really bad about it."

"Says you," she snorted. "And you fell for all of his tricks before. How do you know he's not just tricking you again?"

"I care about him, Janet! There's good underneath him, okay? I know there is," I started to shout. "Just leave him alone! He'll apologize -"

"Well, that's not good enough!"

"Well, what is?" I replied, exasperated.

"Once he feels the pain I did, then I will be more at peace!"

"Janet, stop! Just stop. You don't want to be just like he was. You don't," I argued with her, but she shook her head.

"Shut up, Blake."

"No," I said, adamantly. "Because if you hurt him, so help me God, Janet, I will -"

"Don't you dare threaten me. Don't you dare try to think you're an even match for me. Because I will crush you, Blake. You don't want to start a war with me."

I simply walked up to her and folded my arms, saying two words before walking out:

"Try me."