Chapter Fifty Six

All along it was a fever
A cold sweat hot-headed believer
I threw my hands in the air I said show me something
He said, if you dare come a little closer

I chose to sing the song Stay by Rihanna. I honestly couldn't think of anything better to get my message across to...

Harry or Niall?

Round and around and around and around we go
Ohhh now tell me now tell me now tell me now you know

Up until now, it was soley for Harry. No one else. I thought that was how I felt for only him. But, as soon as I made eye contact with Niall, as soon as I remembered everything and anything I felt...

It changed.

Not really sure how to feel about it
Something in the way you move
Makes me feel like I can't live without you
It takes me all the way
I want you to stay

I know I couldn't live without Niall. I knew that. But, I thought that I couldn't live without Harry before. I missed everything about us.

But, now that I think about how easy it was with Niall, how comfortable I felt with him, how much I wanted him to feel happy...well, my thoughts were changing rapidly. And I couldn't keep up.

It's like my heart was five steps ahead of me.

And I knew I wanted someone to stay. Or both of them. I just didn't know in which circumstance. Like, do I only want my friendship with Niall to stay? Did I want my love with Harry to stay?

Or do I want Niall and I to have something more and have it last?

Ohhh the reason I hold on
Ohhh cause I need this hole gone
Funny you're the broken one but I'm the only one who needed saving
Cause when you never see the lights it's hard to know which one of us is caving

But who was I holding onto? That was the ultimate question.

As I finished the song, my eyes met Niall's briefly, but I quickly turned away. People were clapping and grinning at me, but I honestly forgot I was performing for a crowd.

I turned to see Harry watching me intently, slowly clapping for me as well. I licked my lips, nervously, not wanting to hold his gaze for longer than need be.

I looked back at the audience and waved warmly, before making my way backstage.

As I was taking in a deep and shaky breath, someone's hand was on my shoulder.

I turned around to see Harry.

"Blake," he said, softly. "Was that for me?"

And, days before this, I would have said yes in a heartbeat, but something was holding me back.

"Erm," I stuttered.

"Look, that song I wrote was for you," he interjected. "It's okay. We both poured out whatever we felt. And I just - I guess I never thought it was okay to start dating you again because I didn't forgive you. But...Blake, it does honestly feel like I'll never love someone again."

Oh God. I should probably stop him. Tell him this doesn't feel entirely right.

"And I don't know why this song had to make it obvious to me that you really do love me still," he carried on, edging closer. "And that I'm finally ready. I'm ready to try again, Blake."

He moved to hold my hand, but - as if it was acting on its own accord - it flinched backwards out of his reach.

His eyebrows furrowed together.