Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

“Uh, I'm guessing you guys know each other?” asked Randy skeptically.

We both nodded mutely, both drinking each other in. Her bouncy brown curls hung at her shoulders and she had not aged a bit since I'd last seen her.

Although, I'm honestly surprised I never saw the resemblance of her and Jace. Even though he got most looks from his father, he got the same striking blue eyes from Diana.

“Well, uh, how?” he asked.

She met my eyes, asking me a silent question. I bit my lip as I determined my options...

My gaze flickered to Nick to a moment. He was sitting on the floor, leaning over the table and stuffing his face with as many jelly beans as he could. Diana understood what I meant and she grabbed the bag of candy from the counter, holding it in front of him.

“Nicky, I'll give you the jelly beans if you go and play some Mario Kart in the game room, mister!”

I smiled as I remembered how persuasive she was. Nick grabbed the bag and sprinted down the hallway before making a sharp left, almost causing him to collide with the white wall.

She looked back questionably again, expecting an answer. I sighed and nodded, defeated. I always hated when she gave me that look.

I slumped down in my chair, having my forehead rest on the table so I couldn't see anyone's faces and they couldn't see mine.

“Honey?” questioned Randy.

Jace's hand slid up and down my thigh, making me melt into his touch. I heard her take a big in take of breath before speaking.

“Do you remember the most serious case I've had, over in Chicago?”

Jace and his father mumbled agreements. I guess they knew what the case was about, too.

“Do you remember her name?”

Jace's warm hand stopped stroking for a minute to think.

“Her name was Ryanne, I think, right?” he answered.

“Mhm. She was raped at the age of twelve, developed mild anorexia at fourteen, and suffered depression for many years. But she doesn't answer to Ryanne anymore. Everyone calls her Ryder. Ryder Smith.”

Wow. Way to be blunt—note the sarcasm.

The room went silent and I slowly lifted my head up, a grimace tugging at the corner of my lips.

Diana was now sitting on the chair in front of me, a proud smile on her plump lips. She was always commenting about how well I had improved over time.

Randy was looking at me, eyebrows raised in a gesture showing that he didn't believe it, but he was proud to see how well I was doing now.

Jace, on the other hand, was silent. I turned to him slowly, trying to decipher any emotion I could from him. Before I could ask or say anything, he pulled me onto his lap and kissed my temple.

“It only makes you more beautiful, Smith.”

“Ryder,” started Nick, pointing an accusing finger in my direction. “Do not say anything to Bethany, missy.”

I held my hands up in a defending position as I waited for Jace to come out of the bathroom. I swear to god, that man has the bladder of a squirrel!

“C'mon,” I defended. “I'm not that embarrassing—!”

“Don't make me duct-tape your mouth,” he threatened.

My eyes widened as I realized the kid was serious. “You watch way too many movies for a kid your age...”

“Ready?” said Jace who somehow appeared on my right. He snaked an arm around my waist, splaying his fingers on my rib-cage, directly on the scars. I automatically became hot at the touch, so I had to bite my lip to stifle a moan.

“Jace, don't touch me there,” I whispered, trying to sound stern but ended up sounding breathless.

“Why not?” he mumbled, massaging it. A moan slipped out instead of a explanation, causing me to throw a hand over my mouth and look around in panic. Luckily, we were going down a path that didn't have that many people; mostly because it was reserved specifically for the party of Nick's little friend.

“I see,” he said, smirking.

“I have a secret weapon,” he singsonged.

I elbowed him in the gut harshly, causing him to caress his wash-board abs and mutter something about me 'having a hard elbow.'

“Oh, I'm sorry!” I cooed mockingly. “Lemme make it feel better!”

I massaged where I elbowed him, feeling the defiant lines of his six-pack behind his graphic t-shirt. He moaned and I grinned.

“Looks like I found my secret weapon...”

“Shut up,” he mumbled, blushing.

“You're such a girl,” I teased, pushing him playfully.

“Oh really? Since when did girl have a—”

“Hello!” a cheery voice chirped somewhere below me.

I looked down, and saw a little girl with bouncy blond hair approach a blushing Nick.

I nudged Jace a little with my elbow, gesturing to the cute pair with my head.

“They grow up so fast,” he sniffled, wiping away a non-existent tear.

“Yeah,” I agreed, nodding. “Next thing you know, he'll be a player just like you were.”

His eyes widened as he turned to me. “How did you know?”

“Let's just say Rix is a great story teller.”

He muttered something that suspiciously sounded like 'I'm gonna kill him...' but I doubt it...

“Oi! Bethany!” a familiar British accent sounded in the room.

Bethany's head shot to the direction of the noise, a sheepish smile on her lips.

“You forgot your jacket,” said Danny, handing the little girl a pink pea-coat like raincoat.

“Well hello there British Boy!” I said, chuckling, linking my arm through Jace's.

Danny looked up, surprised. “Oh, hey Ryder!”

“You two know each other?” asked Jace, surprised.

I nodded. “Yeah. He works at the bookstore.”

Danny hesitantly scratched the back of his neck. “I sort of feel bad for leaving Hades all alone today,”

I waved his comment away with my hand, chuckling. “I'm sure he'll do just fine.”

Realization dawned on me when I realized I hadn't introduced them. “Oh! Jace, this is Danny. Danny, this is my boyfriend, Jace.”

They said hello and did that weird man-hug thing. I'll never understand that...

Jace looked down, confused. “I guess Nick and his new girlfriend decided to go to the party without us.”

I looked around, noticing they weren't here. I squinted and noticed them trotting down the path, turning into the reserved party room.

“Wow,” Danny muttered. “They're more mature than us...”

I snickered and nodded.

“Well Ryder, we better get going. My dad's waiting for us at home.”

“Alright,” I agreed, waving to Danny. “I'll see you tomorrow!”

He agreed and we parted ways, stepping outside. It was drizzling a little bit, causing me to frown.

It was about 6 o'clock, giving me about four or five hours to talk.

“Ready to go?” questioned Jace, buckling my seat-belt for me.

“Yes,” I said. “And you know I could have done that myself.”

“I know,” he said smugly, before revving the engine and heading back to his house.