As if Moving, Transferring Schools, and Meeting the Possible Love of My Life Wasn't Enough! (ch.2)

**A/N: Three votes 'til I post more!**

As if Moving, Transferring Schools, and Meeting the Possible Love of My Life Wasn't Enough!

Chapter 2: Memories

Point of view: Casey

"Case, you have ten seconds to get your butt down here or I will come up there and get you, and drag you to school no matter what you look like!" John yelled up stairs to me. Is it really my fault I wanted to make a good first impression? Besides, John is getting more and more parent-like every day. I guess it's good that he's stepping into the role, but I don't want to lose my brother.

"I'm coming, gosh!" I yelled back down, seriously, I'm only like two minutes late, and it's my first day so I can always say I'm late because I got lost.

"You have five seconds!" John yelled up again sounding even more impatient, if possible.

"Ugh!" Was all I said as a reply. Good thing he can't hear what I'm muttering under my breath. I took one last look in the bathroom mirror, and made sure I looked perfect, shoulder-length blond hair smooth? Check. Clothes that don't have any odd stains? Check. Make up done perfectly? Check. Skin completely smooth looking thanks to concealor? Check.

"Perfect." I muttered unconsciously and picked up my bag full of donated school supplies. The orphanage made sure we had enough stuff to get by for a little bit while my brother finds a job. We may be living in the tinniest apartment imaginable, but it's a house. We may be living out of suitcases but it's a start.

"I'm coming up!" John yelled up the stairs again sounding pissed I guess he expected me down there by now.

"No need, I'm on my way down!" I yelled back and started taking the stairs two at a time.

"Wow, you look... nice?" John said taking in the new me. I guess he doesn't really know how to complement me, haha.

"Thanks, like my new hair cut?" I said and spun around so he could see the back. That was the first thing I did when we got here, cut my hair. At the orphanage you couldn't really express yourself, because emo kids, and goth kids, or anything that wasn't cookie-cutter wasn't likely to get adopted. Therefore, they made me keep my hair long like some freaking doll so my adopted parents could decide how I cut it. Mom and Dad never cared how my hair looked, as long as I liked it. They were cool like that. Always making sure you were happy.

"Case? It's nice, ready to go?" John said snapping me out of my own little memory reel.

I looked up at his concerned face and said dazedly, "Yeah, let's go! Laguna High here we come!"

Once we were safely in the car, my thoughts started to wander again. I started thinking about the orphanage and wondering what the kids would be doing right now, and in some odd way I missed them. We were kind of like a little family. One thing led to another, and I started thinking about the day it happened. The day my parents died and left John and I to live on our own.

John and I were at home when it happened, sitting on the couch. John was playing video games, and I was watching. He was eleven and I was seven. Mom and Dad were still at work, they were both teachers at the local high school, J. M. Weatherwax High School. All I really remember was one moment John's virtual car was turning the corner at lethal speeds, and the next there was an emergency news broadcast. Normally, people only get these when there's an earthquake or other natural disaster, but our town was so small, they would have them whenever anything news worthy happened.

John was just about to flip it back to his video game when he saw the high school. Mom and Dad's high school, on fire. I was immediately confused, and started watching the TV thinking it was some new movie preview or something. John just got up off the couch, grabbed me, put me in his arms and started running, full speed towards the high school.

The whole way there, I was worrying about the stupid TV and saying that he didn't turn it off, and when mom and dad got home they were going to be mad at him for wasting electricity.

Once we were a street away from the high school, there was a blockade for all of the cars and people who were trying to get by on their way back from wherever. John kept trying to get in, but the police on duty wouldn't let him. After a few minutes he became hysterical. Luckily for the police officer, our neighbor came and took us back home. Later that night, there was a newscast saying that four people died in the fire: my mom, my dad, and two students. Later, the police told us what happened in detail. Mom and dad were in a back room getting more supplies for their next classes, and when they heard the fire alarm go off, they went through every room making sure that everyone was out of the building. Once they reached the art room, they found two kids, passed out from smoke inhalation. Mom and dad picked them up and started carrying them to safety, not knowing that the extra air it took them to carry the children would kill them. They both died of smoke inhalation, along with the kids, before they could make it out of the building.

John and I cried for what seemed like days. We wouldn't eat, wouldn't sleep. The only thing we did was hang onto each other and cry; mommy and daddy were never coming home.

"Casey? Casey?" John called trying to get my attention.

"Huh?" I asked, dazed.

"We're here. Ready?" John asked, cautiously, I think he knew what I was thinking about.

"Yeah." I said and put on my mask. The mask that said, 'my parents may have died but I'm not telling you that, I may be living with my brother, and my brother only, but how would you know? I may have some problems, but I'm not telling you.' The mask that kept everyone away and out of my life.

I had perfected this mask over the years, fooling everyone from foster parents to therapists. No one would dare ask me anything too personal now, or so I thought. Little did I know, one boy was going to try and break down all my barriers, and get to know the real Casey McMurrough.

© SarahRuRu

**A/N: Three votes 'til I post more!**