Chapter 62

Barrie stared down at the letter that the messenger had just delivered. She already knew what it said, but she reread it anyways. No one but her, Grekken, and her father know of their plan. Barrie looked up at the messenger.

"Do you know what this says?"

The messenger shook his head. "No my lady. I do not. The King deemed me unworthy."

Barrie gave a humorless smile. "He does do that regularly."

"Any message to take back to the King my lady?"

"Tell the King that I accept his terms. All I ask is for the right to choose the setting of our meeting. Let the King now that he is to meet me in a fortnights time at Death's Peak. Now repeat that back to me."

The messenger repeated the messenger three times before Barrie was happy with his memory. She let him go. Barrie watched until the messenger was out of sight before she went in search of Johnny. She finally found Johnny over by the horses. He was busy grooming Killer. Barrie couldn't help but smile as she saw how Johnny acted around Killer.

"It's amazing at how calming horses are."

Johnny looked up and offered her a rare smile. It was one of those smiles that almost a smirk. "Horses are just like people. They seem to understand me more than people do."

Barrie walked up and let Killer smell her hand. She giggled at the way that he lipped her hand looking for a treat. Barrie pulled a carrot out of her pocket. "Just don't let Erebus know about this okay or he'll be jealous."

Johnny gazed at her from where he stood at Killers flank. His hands were gentle and steady as he brushed Killer's coat to make it shine. "How is Erebus doing?"

Barrie's eyes flash up to Johnny before they looked away. She let out a huge sigh. "He's a great horse Johnny. I love him already. It just always saddens me when you have to train a new horse. I hate losing horses. None of mine have ever grown old. They've always died in battle or in accidents. I hope that Erebus will live to be a ripe old age."

"Have you though of studding him when he's older?"

Barrie stilled as she thought about that. "You know Johnny," Barrie said slowly. "That's a great idea. I'll need to talk to one of the stud farms and see what they say. He can sire the next bloodline of Warrior Queen horses." Barrie offered Johnny a bright smile and stifled her giggle as Johnny blushed.

Silence descended between them till Johnny asked what she needed. Barrie studied Johnny. She had to look closely at him because he had changed so much since she'd first met him. He had grown up to be a strong young man who had a chance at survival.

"You've grown up to be a handsome young man Johnny."

Johnny scowled at her. "Is that all you came to tell me?"

Barrie smiled as she tilted her head to one side. "No, but I was just thinking about how you were when I first met you. You've come a long way since then." Barrie stepped forward and brushed some of Johnny's long hair out of his eyes. "No matter how much you grow up, I can still see that young man that I first met. Stay true to yourself Johnny. Don't let anyone ever try to change you."

"Why do you care?"

"I care because I love you Johnny. You are like a brother to me and I don't want to see you get hurt."

Johnny's face softened and his eyes were bright. He rubbed at his eyes before he cleared his throat and when he spoke it was in a thick voice. "I have never had anyone say that to me. I've never had family to worry about me."

Barrie laughed lightly as she reached forward and touched his arm. "I will gladly worry about you and so will Mother and Beau. There are many types of families Johnny. I decided long ago that a family includes those that you love, but who aren't related to you."

Johnny squeezed her hand before he shook himself and stepped away from her. Barrie let him go. Johnny was silent as he brushed Killer's back. He finally spoke to Barrie. "Was there a reason that you sought me out?"

Barrie shook herself and squared her shoulders. "I got a missive from the King. I was wanting to talk to you, Claude, and Grekken about what we need to do."

Johnny nodded as he gave Killer a final pat. He pocketed the curry brush and looked at Barrie. "Do you want me to go and find Claude?"

"That would be wonderful Johnny. Once you find him, bring him to the meeting tent. We have much to discuss and very little time to do it."

Johnny gave her a mock bow before he went in search of Claude. Barrie shook her head as a smile graced the edges of her mouth. Her thoughts were happy as she went in search of her mother. Maybe, she thought, we could end this war once and for all and that my parents can finally be together like they should have been years ago. One can always hope for a happy ending. It is hope that keeps you going in the long dark stretch night. Hope that you will see the sunrise another day and that all will be well.