Chapter 19

"Arthur," Barrie called softly as she crawled up onto the castle roof. 

A shadow detached itself from the wall and pulled her to her feet.  There was no moon tonight and Barrie couldn't see Arthur's face, but his hand was familiar on her arm.  Barrie slid her hands up Arthur's shoulders as she leaned into him.  His lips pressed against hers tenderly before he drew her away from the edge.

"Careful, parts of the roof aren't all that sturdy."

Barrie clutched Arthur's hand and trusted him to guide her across the roof.  He drew her along a line that only he could see.  Barrie hid a squeal as he picked her up and tight roped across a section that was very frail.  Once on the other side he put her down and they continued on again.  They reached one of the peaks and Arthur sent Barrie up first.  Barrie giggled the first time Arthur gave her a push on her rear end. 

"Where are we going Arthur?"  Barrie asked as she stood on the flat peak of the roof.

"You'll see." Was all Arthur said as he led her across several more of the castles roofs.  Barrie squinted as she thought she saw a light up ahead.  Arthur led her around the several of the peaks till they reached the center of the roof.  Torches flickered in the wind and they were stationed in the four corners of the roof. 

In the center of the torches stood her cousin Beau.  He was dressed in black and he looked the dashing prince that Cinderella had fallen in love with.  His hand rested on his sword and he watched them from beneath heavy brows.  Beau didn't say anything till they stood in front of him.

"Did anyone follow you cousin?"

Barrie shook her head grateful that she had decided to braid her hair before coming up here.  "No, one of my other handmaidens dressed up in one of my dresses and Grekken helped me.  What are we doing Beau?  Why all of the secrecy?"

Beau shifted on his feet and settled into a more relaxed stance.  "You want to become a Warrior Queen Barrie.  Your swordsmanship is descent, but you have to improve.  I also believe that you should learn how to fight using a bow, spear, and upon horseback.  We'll use this as our swordsmanship square.  When we are ready for the others we'll find a suitable place."

Barrie couldn't help but let her face fall  She blushed underneath her cousins scrutiny which made him laugh.  "Don't worry Barrie.  There will be plenty of time for you and Arthur to go exploring.  Cinderella has told me that you and Arthur can use her cottage as long as you clean it up before you leave."

Barrie couldn't believe that she could blush so much and she felt Arthur shift beside her.  She glanced up at him and noticed that he was watching her.  She offered him a shy smile before she let go of his hand.  "Alright Beau.  What do you have in store for me tonight?"

Barrie stifled a groan as Arthur helped her climb down into the windows of her room.  She leaned against him for support.  Her whole body ached.  Barrie thought she was ready for this, but her body said otherwise.  Grekken waited with a steaming mug of tea.  Barrie hobbled over and sank into the soft chair.  She took the tea and eagerly drank the bitter brew.  The taste was horrendous, but it did wonders on sore muscles.

"How did it go?"  Grekken asked as she bustled around pouring hot water into a bowl and handing Arthur some salve.

"It was horrible Grekken.  Beau wasn't mean by any standards, but he was tough.  I think he worked Arthur over worse than me."

Arthur looked up from where he knelt by Barrie's feet.  He didn't pause in taking off her shoes and socks as he spoke.  "I'm used to physical labor.  I'll be sore tomorrow, but I've been sore before.  The King was tough on me because I need to know how to protect Barrie when she decides to dive into a fight."

"When will you meet again?"

Barrie led her head bang against the back of the chair as she shrugged her shoulders.  "He'll let us know.  All I hope is that he gives me a day to recoup.  I don't know how the men in father's army do this all the time."

Grekken took Barrie's empty cup and placed a hand gently on her charges shoulders.  Barrie opened her eyes and looked up at her.  Grekken gave her a proud smile and spoke in a tender voice like a mother does to her child.  "You are doing this to save your kingdom.  You're people will remember you for a long time.  They will remember that you put yourself in harms way for them because you loved them."

Barrie patted Grekken's hand and closed her eyes.  A snore was soon heard and Grekken shook her head as she readied the bed.  Her gaze kept going back to where the Princess sat snoring in her chair and blacksmith's apprentice knelt at her feet.  Arthur was taking care not to wake Barrie as he washed her feet.  His head was bent and his attention was focused on his task.  He was no longer a boy Grekken realized as she studied his muscular physique and the beard that covered his face.  Arthur was a man and one who was the luckiest in all the kingdom.  He had won the heart of a Princess who said she'd never marry.  Arthur looked up as Grekken approached.  He was busy drying Barrie's feet.  Grekken reached down for the bowl of water.  Arthur handed it to her and climbed to her feet as she sat the bowl on a low table.  

"Bring her over here."  Grekken said as Arthur picked Barrie up. 

Barrie didn't even stir as Arthur carried her over and laid her down in her bed.  Grekken flipped the covers over Barrie and smoothed them over her as Barrie rolled onto her side and continued to snore.  Grekken smoothed some flyaway hair back out of her face as she walked with Arthur over to the section of the wall that slid back to reveal a secret tunnel.  As Arthur slipped into the tunnel Grekken stopped him.  Arthur turned back and looked at her.

"Barrie is lucky to have you Arthur."

Arthur shook his head as he spoke.  "No Grekken.  I'm lucky to have Barrie."

Grekken platted Arthur's face before she stepped back and let Arthur slid the section of wall back into place.  Grekken banked the fire before she moved back into the sitting room and took up her sewing.  Her needle flew over the cloth as she made neat little stitches.  Barrie was going to need a standard if she was to become a Warrior Queen and Grekken had taken it upon herself to stitch her one.  Grekken hummed to herself as she sewed and the night flew by.  She fell asleep as the first light of dawn touched the sky with its rosy fingers.