Chapter 9

Arthur waited patiently by the ruins for Barrie to appear.  They had planned to meet here weeks ago before Barrie had left for one of the keeps that her parents owned.  The King and Queen had gone for some sort of celebration that lasted for two months and Barrie had stayed for over 6 months.   The reason for her extended day had to deal with her parents wanting her to gain some Princess skills.  Arthur wandered about the ruins as he waited for Barrie.  He had grown several inches since then and he wondered how Barrie had changed.  He was afraid that she'd not want to be friends with him.

"Arthur!"  Barrie's voice floated softly over the ruins.

"I'm here Barrie!" 

Arthur headed through the ruins towards Barrie's voice.  He came around the corner and saw Barrie at the end of the crumbling corridor.  She looked resplendent in a long gown of soft yellow with her hair pulled back and a silver circlet sat upon her head.  Her face broke into a smile as she saw him.

"Arthur!" She cried joyfully as she ran forward and threw herself into Arthur's arms.

Arthur caught Barrie and twirled her around.  He set her gently on the ground and drew back to look at her.  She was even prettier than when she'd left.  Barrie had filled out and taken on the form of a young lady.  By the time she was marrying age she would be absolutely gorgeous.

"It's so good to see you Arthur," Barrie gushed as she hugged him again.  She pulled back and looked him over from head to toe.  "You've grown a few inches and it looks like you've added some more muscles."

Arthur flexed his arm playfully and smiled as Barrie giggled at him.  "How was Weathering Keep?"  Arthur led Barrie over to a stone bench and sat down.  Barrie plopped down beside with a little more grace that she'd showed 6 months ago.

"Oh it was alright.  The celebration was amazing, but I quickly grew bored.  My mother thought that I needed to stay and learn a few things from Cinderella.  Do you realize how annoying she is?  She constantly berated me on the proper way to act as if she knew anything about breeding."

"So are the rumors about her true?"

Barrie glanced at Arthur from the corner of her eye.  "And what rumors are you referring to Arthur?"

Arthur felt the need to hold up his hands.  Barrie's tone was one that nobility used on those lesser than them.  "Just the rumors that have been circling the kingdom for the past few years."

Barrie sighed and looked at Arthur.  Her eyes were filled with worry.  "I'm afraid they are true.  She is no longer the girl who won my cousins heart.  She has turned ruthless and despises those of the station that she came from.  It took all my willpower to stay and learn what she taught me."

"What did she teach you?"  Arthur asked in curiosity.

"She taught me how not to act.  I will be a proper princess, but not one who mistreats her servants.  I will be greater than my parents.  I plan on being the best ruler my country has known."

"To do that you need to have someone strong by your side."

Barrie made a very unladylike snort as she shot to her feet.  "That's the reason why I came to see you.  My parents are putting me on a very short lease.  I don't know when I'll be able to sneak away again if I can at all."  Barrie spun and dropped to her knees in front of Arthur, her yellow skirts billowing.  She grabbed Arthur's hands in hers and looked beseechingly in his eyes.  "I don't want to give up seeing you Arthur.  I promise that I will try to see, but I don't know how."

Arthur pulled his hands from Barrie's and lifted her back to her feet.  He stood up and held her small hands in his.  "We'll find a way Barrie.  You are the only friend that I have.  The only person who doesn't look down on me because of my Mother."

Barrie smiled up at him weakly.  "How Arthur?"

"I don't know Barrie."

Barrie lowered her head and Arthur pulled her into his arms.  He held her as he thought of what to do.  They stood that way for what seemed like an eternity before Barrie pulled back.  "I have an idea.  What if I send Grekken to you with the times that I can meet?"

"Won't people notice?"

Barrie smiled and giggled.  "No, Grekken knows your Master."

Arthur frowned slightly.  "How does she know Master Ballard?"

"Jacinda and Grekken are sister."

Arthur smiled.  "That'll work perfectly."

Barrie smiled and surprised Arthur by kissing him on the cheek.  She darted off with her skirts in one hand and showing her ankles.  Over her shoulder she shouted back at him.  "I'll send Grekken to you within the next few days!"

Arthur watched Barrie go.  He shook his head as he left the ruins after her.  His spirits were high and not even Fionn or her friends could dampen them.