Chapter 8

"Shoulders back, head held in, arms by your side, stomach in...."

Barrie hid a grimace as the governess talked about the perfect way to walk.  It was a rather uncomfortable way to walk.  Barrie did as she was told reluctantly.  Giggles burst out amongst the other girls who were getting posture lessons as well.  Next would come walking lessons, sitting lessons, and much later dancing lessons.  Barrie always hated her etiquette classes.  They were so dull.  Did it really matter how you ate or walked?  No one really cared.  It was just a way for the nobility to stand out from the peasants.

"It's your turn to Barrie."

Barrie stood straight and tall making sure that her nose was stuck to far up in the air.  She didn't want to trip over her own feet when they learned the proper way to walk.  The governess walked around Barrie several times before she nodded.

"Very good Princess.  Remember to keep your arms slightly relaxed."

"Yes Governess Marian," Barrie intoned.

An hour later the girls were all released from the governess.  They all walked happily to their dancing instructor.  If there was anything Barrie hated worse than learning how to sit, stand, and walk it was dancing.  She had two left feet when it came to dancing.  Master Rolf was the finest dancing instructor in the kingdom and he had been employed at the palace since her father was a young boy.  Barrie sighed as she followed the other girls into the ballroom. 

"Oh," Barrie groaned later as her feet soaked in a bowl of hot water and herbs.  "My feet are killing me.  How can people enjoy dancing?"

Grekken looked up from where she was by the fire.  She smiled at her young charge.  "You'll enjoy it when you're older."

"I doubt it Grekken," Barrie groused. 

Grekken laughed as she brought more hot water over.  As she poured it into the foot bath she spoke longingly of the past.  "I hated dancing when I was your age too.  I didn't enjoy dancing till I met my husband.  You'll like dancing once you find a boy you're sweet on."

Barrie was quiet which was unusual.  Grekken watched her with a small smile.  Barrie had the far away look on her face most girls get when they think of a certain boy.  "How do I tell the boy that I like him?"

"Is it the blacksmith's apprentice?"

Barrie's blush was all the answer Grekken needed.  She moved around behind Barrie and started to undo her hair.  As she spoke she softly brushed Barrie's beautiful dark hair.  "Men are fickle creatures Barrie.  They are a puzzle.  Some will let you know that they like you and others won't.  As for Arthur, my advice would be to stay friends with him.  Wait until you are a little older before you reveal your interest in him.  If he's interested in you he might show it."

"How?"  Barrie's voice was filled with desperate curiosity. 

"Well," Grekken said as she paused in her task.  "He will bring you little gifts.  If you dine together, he will give you the choicest pieces of meat and the best fruit.  He will show up to escort you when you need to go places and he will always speak to you with as if  you are equal.  He will defend you when you need defended and will always offer you solace when you are in need of comfort."

"That sounds like a lot."

Grekken smiled before she kissed her chargers head.  "It is a lot.  If you pay attention you will know if he likes you."

"How do I show him that I like him?"

"Be yourself.  Tell him your hopes and your fears.  Let him know when you are in need.  he will come to you if he is a good man.  Once you get older you can offer him a little flirtation, but it has to be subtle.  Men do not like women who change themselves or are over flirtatious."

Barrie nodded which caused a knot to form in her hair and she had to sit still while Grekken untangled it.  "Will you help me?"

"If you wish it my Princess.  I will help you with anything."

"Good."

Barrie sat lost in thought while Grekken gently brushed her hair.  Steam curled lazily off the hot foot bath and the fire crackled merrily.  A comfortable silence settled over the room and was only broken when a servant came to deliver tea and biscuits.