Chapter 1

Arthur gave a groan and rolled out of bed. His body ached and his back hurt from all of the work that he had done yesterday. His master Ballard had worked him hard. He had spent the entire day learning how to build a fire, bank a fire, and how to keep it at the right temperature for metal working.

Today was going to be even worse than yesterday he could feel it. He shuffled over to the night stand and picked up the pitcher of water that Jacinda, Ballard's wife, had set out for him. Very carefully he poured it into the cracked and chipped bowl that she had left.

Steam and lavender wafted up from the bowl. With a grimace Arthur carefully dipped his hands into the water. He pulled his hands back with a yelp and blew cool air across his burned fingers. Jacinda meant well, but everyday the water was either too cold or too hot. Today it was scalding.

He thought about not washing today, but Jacinda hated it when he didn't wash his face and Ballard backed her up. Cussing underneath his breath, Arthur quickly washed his face and neck before he headed to the kitchen. He was almost to the kitchen when he was waylaid by Fionn, Ballard and Jacinda's daughter.

"Morning Arthur," Fionn purred at him.

"Morning Fionn," Arthur murmured before he tried to step into the kitchen.

Fionn stepped in front of Arthur and blocked his path. "I thought that we could do something adventurous today Arthur. Just you and I exploring the woods and perhaps we could explore each other." Fionn ran a hot look down Arthur's body and ran a bold hand across his chest.

Arthur knocked Fionn's hand away. "I'm not in the mood today Fionn. Now get out of my way."

"You better be nice to me Arthur. If you don't then I'll tell father that you tried to force yourself on me."

Arthur snorted and rolled his eyes at Fionn. "Your father wouldn't believe that. He's seen you chasing the Miller's son."

Fionn let out a shriek and smacked Arthur as hard as she could across the face. "How dare you!"

Arthur watched Fionn dash into the kitchen. His cheek hurt where she'd slapped him. Fionn's hysterical voice drifted from the kitchen. He could hear Jacinda telling Ballard that he needed to take care of him.

Arthur didn't have long to wait before Ballard came out of the kitchen. His eyes took in Arthur's wet hair and red cheek before he motioned for him to follow him outside. Arthur gave a sigh as he turned and followed Ballard to his blacksmith's shop.

Once inside the ford Ballard turned and skewered Arthur with his eyes. "Tell me what happened between you and Fionn."

"Fionn waylaid me on my way to the kitchen, Master Ballard. She wanted to do something adventurous today. She wanted explore the woods. Fionn also wanted to some other exploring."

Arthur paused and waved his hand down his body. "When I said no, she threatened to tell you that I tried to force myself on her. She got mad when I told her that you've seen her chasing after the Miller's son."

Ballard studied Arthur and hid a smile at the defensive way that Arthur stood. He knew well that his daughter pursued the boys. He was surprised that she had tried to go after Arthur. He was after all, the bastard son of the village healer.

"Do you not find my daughter attractive Arthur?"

Arthur blinked in surprise. A question was the last thing he expected Ballard to ask him. "Fionn is very attractive Master Ballard."

"And yet you do not pursue her. Why is that?"

Arthur shrugged and ran a hand through his hair making it stand on end. "I never thought it a good idea to pursue my master's daughter."

Ballard studied Arthur for several long minutes. "You are 12 seasons old. I have yet to see you show any interest in girls or talk to any girls. Are you by chance interested in boys?"

Arthur looked horrified at Ballard. "No! I am not interested in boys Master Ballard! I just haven't found any girl worth talking to! They all talk about girl things and that's boring!"

"Calm down Arthur. I meant no offense." Ballard made a stopping motion with his hands.

He had not meant to upset Arthur so much. He knew that Arthur had it hard and that he didn't fit in with the other boys. That was why he had agreed to apprentice him.

"Why don't you get a fire going? I'll bring you breakfast."

"Yes Master Ballard," Arthur replied before heading over to the woodpile.

Ballard watched Arthur work before he went back inside. He was going to have to have a talk with his daughter, he mused. She needed to be told to leave Arthur alone. He and Jacinda needed to find a suitor for Fionn and fast. She was marrying age and she needed to be married before she messed around and ended up pregnant.