Chapter 11

Barrie swept into her room. She locked the door behind her before she hurried over to the fire and sat down cross legged in front of it. A note appeared in her hand from where it had been hidden inside the bodice of her dress. She untied the string that bound the letter and opened up the small square of paper. Barrie smoothed the letter on her knee before she angled it towards the fire and began to read the hesitant hand that wrote the letter.

Dear Princess,

I would call you Barrie, but I could just hear you correcting me so I'll go with formal titles.

Not much has changed here. Master Ballard is working me hard and he surprised me the other day by giving me a comment on a broken sword that I managed to fix. He said that it was the best job he's seen done in a long time. I have to admit that I was secretly pleased with his praise. He doesn't hand out praise much.

Fionn is still trying to find a way into my bed. I have taken to not bathing and to sleeping in the forge to try to dissuade her. So far it's not working. Maybe I'll go and roll around in the pig pen. I'm sure she'll stay away from me then.

The weather here is awful. It's done nothing but rain for the past week. I like the rain, but right now I'm tired of being wet. It's making people on edge. Several of the houses have collapsed from the rain and lightning has already started a fire in one of the fields. Your father the King, sent some men out to observe the damage.

As you can see I am progressing with my writing. Jacinda is working hard on teaching me how to read and write. The reading part is easy, but the writing part is kicking my arse. I'm finding it hard to grasp the pen. It's too small for my hands. Jacinda offered to write this letter to you, but I said no and that I wanted to show you how far I've come. Forgive me if it's sloppy. I did try.

I won't be able to meet with you like we planned. On the morrow, Master Ballard is sending me to Baern. He's a blacksmith several days ride to the north. His son has fallen ill and he needs someone to help him in his shop. I will be there until his son gets better. I am excited to go. Baern is one of the best blacksmiths around. I'll be sure to watch him closely and hopefully pick up a few tricks.

Until next time. I am faithfully yours.

Your Servant,

Arthur

Barrie couldn't help but laugh and smile at Arthur's letter. She loved his humor and missed seeing him. Barrie folded the letter and held it to her bosom. She stared into the fire lost in thought. Arthur had become a very close friend to her and she still liked him. These letters were her lifeline to him and they kept her grounded. He kept her down to earth and every letter he wrote reminded her of the path that she was on. Arthur would be surprised the next time they sparred together.

Barrie rose gracefully her feet and made her way over to the writing desk that rested against one wall of her sitting room. She sat down, opened her inkwell and pulled a sheet of parchment towards her. Barrie paused and gathered her thoughts before she dipped her pen in the ink and began to write.