Chapter 32

"Mother!" Barrie said in agitation as soon as she entered her chambers. 

Grekken looked up from where she sat by the fire darning a spot in Barrie's tunic.  It had gotten a hole in it the last time she'd fought the suitors.  Grekken's face was filled with concern as she put her needle down.  "What's the matter Barrie?" 

"It's that one suitor, oh whatever his name is.  He keeps following me around.  I swear every time I turn around he's there.  It's starting to make me mad."

Grekken laughed as she picked up her needle and went back to darning the tunic.  "His name's Derek sweetie and he's following you because he's hoping you'll lead him to the Black Wolf."

Barrie plopped down into a chair by the fire with a huff.  She crossed her arms and glared into the fire.  Her facial features smoothed out and curiosity got the better of him.  "Who is he?"

Grekken tied a knot and cut the string.  She held the tunic up and eyed her handiwork.  "He's from some small kingdom many months journey over the mountains far to the north.  He's the third son of of a Baron who wants to better himself.  He's young, not much older than you, and he's distinguished in battle.  He likes to observe his enemies before he attacks and when he attacks it is with an iron fist."

"How do you know all of this?"

Grekken put the red tunic aside and picked up a yellow one of Claude's that she was altering to fit Johnny.  "I asked him."

Barrie gaped at Grekken.  She sputtered before she finally managed to speak.  "Why would you do that?"

Grekken smiled up at her as mischief sparkled in her eyes.  "I find him to be the best out of all of the suitors that you have fought.  He doesn't cause trouble and he makes sure to be a gracious guest.  He is kind and considerate to those around him including the servants."

"Do you think he'd make a good King?"

"Yes and I believe he'd make you a fine husband.  One who would accept you for who you are and give you free reign."

"Hm."

Barrie stood up and began pacing around the room deep in thought.  The man was cute and he was always polite.  He was good looking which was a plus.  Barrie even had to admit that with his black hair that was in need of a trim and violet colored eyes.  He was handsomer than Arthur had been.  He had a great physique with sculpted muscles that made Barrie's mouth water.  She was curious as to how he'd look naked.  She gave a mental laugh as she though of how her father and the Queen would act if they new of her thoughts.

"What are you thinking about Barrie?"

Barrie pulled her attention back to the present and smile at Grekken.  She offered her mother a smile.  "Just thinking about how I should go about dealing with Derek.  So far he seems to be about the decent suitor that has set foot on this land.  I'm thinking that maybe I should get to know him as Barrie and then see how he deals with the Black Wolf."

Grekken nodded as she finished darning Claude's shirt.  She folded the shirt and laid it on her lap.  "I feel he'll make a good King.  Give him some hints about the Black Wolf.  Make him want to fight."

Barrie nodded as she stood up.  She paused at the door and looked back at Grekken.  "Wish me luck."

Grekken laughed as Barrie opened the door.  "Good luck," she called as Barrie closed the door behind her.

Barrie headed off in search of Johnny.  He knew the habits and behaviors of all of the suitors.  Claude had him watching them and Barrie new that he'd help her with Derek.  As Barrie rounded the corner to go down one of the back staircases, she saw Derek standing and talking with several of the suitors.  She threw Derek a covetous glance before she headed down the stairs.  A smile crossed Barrie's face as she thought about the look that had crossed the suitor's faces.  Theirs was filled with jealousy while Derek's had been filled with quite intrigue.  This was going to be fun.