Chapter 36

"I'm so glad your here!"

Barrie threw her arms joyfully around Beau who laughed as he picked her up and twirled her around.  He sat her down on the ground before he turned and plucked Fleur from Cinderella's arms.  He passed Fleur to Barrie who cuddled her daughter close.  She placed a kiss on her forehead and blinked back tears.  She smiled as Cinderella stepped out of Beau's arms.

"I think you're happier to see Fleur than you are to see us."

Barrie grinned at Cinderella's words.  "You know how much I love her."

Cinderella gazed down at the little girl nestled in Barrie's arms.  "She is precious to all of us.  Beau and I thank you everyday for her."

"No Cinderella.  It is I who should thank you.  Without you two I don't know what I would have done."

"Beau!  Cinderella!"

Barrie grimaced as she heard her father.  She hid her annoyed look as her father, the Queen, her half siblings, and Derek all walked up.  Barrie gave sigh.  She knew she was going to end up getting a headache.  She could already feel it coming on. 

"Uncle," Beau said as he stepped forward and hugged the King. 

The King pounded him on the back.  "It's been too long since last you visited.  You've kept your beautiful wife and your angelic daughter who looks entirely like you."

Barrie had to bite her tongue to keep herself from claiming Fleur as her own.  She turned her gaze from where her father fawned over the sleeping toddler in her arms.  Barrie looked up and found Derek watching her.  She stared at him not even bothering to hide her anger.  Derek frowned at her before his gaze dropped to Fleur.  His frown evened out as his gaze flashed back to her.  He hid the surprise in his eyes.

"Come Beau, let's have a drink."

"Yes Uncle."

Beau and her father headed off to one of the studies while the Queen and her children drew Cinderella, Barrie, and Fleur to one of the sittings rooms to chat.  Barrie followed the Queen wishing that she could let the whole kingdom know that Fleur was her daughter.  That's all she's ever wanted since she learned she was pregnant.

Barrie was in an exceptionally bad mood by the time she was able to escape the Queen.  She moved through the castle not caring who she came upon.  She spoke to no one.  Servants moved out of the way and warned others that the Princess wasn't in a mood to trifle with.  Barrie made it to her room and slammed the door.  She paced in her room before she picked up a goblet and threw it against the wall.  Anger surged through her.  Barrie glared at the dented cup before she grabbed her cloak and left her room.

Barrie later found herself in the stable.  She inhaled deeply.  The scent of horses, hay, and manure filled the air.  It was a heady scent that some found offensive and others found pleasant.  Barrie moved through the horses till she came to her newest horse, Cyclone.  So named for the fact that the horse was a furious dappled gray stallion who couldn't stand any but Barrie touching him.  He'd made a habit of kicking anyone who approached him.  Barrie stepped forward and rubbed his soft velvety nose.  

"Hey there Cyclone," Barrie crooned softly.  "How are you today?"

Cyclone nickered and butted her hand softly.  Barrie laughed as kissed his forehead.  "Sorry Cyclone.  I don't have any treats for you today."

Cyclone neighed and half way reared.  Barrie stood her ground.  She petted his soft face when he settled back on the ground.  Barrie laughed as she picked up a curry brush and began to groom him.  She was in the middle of grooming him when she was startled by a voice.

"Fleur isn't Beau and Cinderella's daughter is she."

Barrie jumped and spun around to find Derek leaning against one of the stall doors.  He stood with his arms crossed and his face in shadow.  Barrie straightened and brushed some loose hair out of her face.  Derek stepped forward into the torch light and came to lean against the door to Cyclones stall.  Barrie was surprised when all Cyclone did was snort.

Barrie drew herself up and tried to adopt an air nonchalance.  "I don't know what you're talking about Derek.  Fleur belongs to Beau and Cinderella.  You are confusing Beau's looks for mine."

Derek shook his head.  "It's not just the way Fleur looks.  I saw the way you reacted when you held her.  The love and joy in your face and the tenderness in your eyes.  I caught the words that Cinderella said to you.  Don't worry," Derek said as Barrie's eyes widened slightly.  "I'm the only one who heard.  Do you want to tell me the truth?"

Barrie looked away.  The stable was deserted, but it wouldn't stay that way for long.  "Not here.  Someone might come upon us."

"Alright, then where do you want to go."