Chapter 16

"You never told me your cousins kingdom was so far away."

Barrie laughed as she rode beside Arthur on her black horse Midnight.  Arthur rode a roan colored horse with three stockings and a blaze of white across it's forehead.  It had been an entertaining trip because it was the first time Arthur had ever ridden a horse.  He had kept all of them entertained.

"Not really Arthur.  Our kingdoms butt up against each other."

Arthur grunted and remained quiet as they rode through a landscape that was ever changing and getting harder and more rugged the farther they went.  Dotted along the landscape were huts made of stone and native turf.  It had grown steadily warmer the farther south they'd gone.  Now the weather was beginning to grow cool again the closer they got to the mountains.  The mountains loomed in the distance and grew nearer ever mile they traveled.  Before long they would have to travel into the mountains and use one of the passes to get to the other side.

"What is your cousins kingdom like?"

Barrie turned her attention from the landscape.  "More or less like our own.  I actually prefer Beau's kingdom better than my own.  It's not that I hate my kingdom.  I like how Beau runs his kingdom.  Once I become queen I plan on running it differently.  That's one of the reasons why I have spent quite a bit of time there.  I want to know how to correctly run a kingdom."

Arthur nodded before he grew quiet again.  "What will become of us?"  Arthur's voice was low and filled with despair.

"Beau will help us with that Arthur.  That's one of the reasons why we are going.  Things will be much easier in his kingdom than in ours.  He will show both of us swordsmanship, allow us a little more freedom to get to know each other better and do a little exploration."

Arthur looked relieved.  "Good and what is to become of me."

"Well, Beau's kingdom is known for the metal work that his blacksmiths create.  You will learn from them and bring that knowledge back and teach our blacksmiths how to make better metal work."

Beau rode up before Arthur could say anything.  He slowed his horse as he reached Barrie and Arthur.  "A storm is coming.  We will make camp there."  Beau pointed up ahead and a little to the left to an outcropping of rock.

"Okay," Barrie said as she kicked her horse into a ground eating gallop. 

Arthur followed her as they and their entourage raced to the safety of the rocks as the sky above them darkened.  Just as they reached the rocks the sky opened up and dumped.  The horses neighed and squealed as the cold rain washed over them.

Barrie dismounted carefully in order not to hit her head on the low ceiling.  Once her feet were safely on the ground she wrung out her braid before she began tending to Midnight.  There wasn't enough room to take off Midnight's saddle so Barrie did the best she could by loosening the girth belt and rubbing him down as best as she could with her cloak.

The rocks kept out most of the rain, but the quarters were cramped and smelled of wet horse.  Barrie stepped close to Midnight as Arthur moved past her.  She bit back a smile as he ran his hand across the small of her back.  Barrie waited a few seconds before she followed Arthur over to where Beau, Cinderella, Grekken, her other handmaidens, and their guards stood. 

Barrie settled down next to Cinderella and started talking.  Cinderella didn't pay her much attention, but Barrie didn't care.  She figured she'd start trying to get the old Cinderella back.  Finally Cinderella sighed and gave her a cross look.

"What are you doing?"

"What do you mean what am I doing?  I'm just talking to you," Barrie said with such innocence that it made Beau snort.

"You know exactly what I mean.  Why are you asking me all of these questions about my childhood?  I've already told you stories about my childhood."

Barrie shrugged.  "Just curious.  You're childhood was completely different than mine was.  The life of a commoner fascinates me.  You had so much more freedom than I ever did."

Cinderella's cross look faded.  "Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt retelling you some of the stories.  Come and sit closer to me Barrie."

Barrie scooted over and sat closer to Cinderella.  Everyone listened to Cinderella's sweet voice as she told tales of her childhood with her stepmother and stepsisters.  The storm raged on, but no one seemed to mind as they listened to the skill with which Cinderella transported them into her childhood.  Even the horses seemed to be listening.