Chapter 34

Barrie looked out over the lists.  She had reluctantly agreed to show her face to the suitors to give them courage, but there was a greater reason for her being here.  Her eyes found Derek where he stood amongst the suitors.  Barrie had showed her face to lay to rest his suspicions.  She waved to the her subjects before she stood.  Silence descended over the lists as they all turned and stared at her.

"Suitors, I wish you luck.  May the Gods favor you with victory against my champion.  I shall see you at the banquet tonight."

Cheers about broke Barrie's ears as she gracefully walked away.  Grekken followed her as well as several of her maids in waiting that were in on the whole ruse.  They were the ones who had known about her and Arthur.  Once within the castle walls Barrie picked up her skirts and ran swiftly through the halls.  She dashed into her chambers and there was a flurry of clothes as Grekken and her maids stripped her of her gown and dressed her armor. 

Barrie appeared on the lists a little breathless.  Cheers greeted her as she walked out.  She stopped in front of the King and Queen.  She bowed before she straightened.  With a flair, Barrie held up the token that signified the Princesses favor in her champion.  She waved her token in each direction before she tucked it into her breast plate.

Barrie stood in the center of the lists and waited for the first suitor to appear.  A sadistic smile carved across her face at the suitor who stepped forward.  The Lord Tristan was a womanizer who enjoyed beating the women he slept with.  Barrie decided she'd give him a taste of his medicine.  Lord Tristan swung at her and Barrie shifted to the left and stomped on his foot as she went by.  He grunted and swung at her.  Barrie blocked the blow with her armor plated arm before she elbowed him in the nose.  Barrie spit on him as he collapsed to the ground.

Barrie left him prone in the dirt as she met the next suitor.  This one fell easier than Lord Tristan as well as the next three after him.  Barrie drew up short in surprise as Derek stepped forward.  He gave her a mocking bow before he attacked her with all he was worth.  Barrie had to retreat underneath his onslaught.  Sweat trickled down her face and stung her eyes as they circled each other.  Blows were traded and Derek became the first suitor to ever draw her blood.  Barrie pulled back with a hiss as he eyes flashed in fury at him.  Barrie watched as his eyes narrowed before she attacked.   Derek ended up on his knees with her sword resting against his throat. 

"Surrender," she growled in a rough imitation of Arthur's deep voiced accent.

"What will you do if I don't?"  Derek's voice was strained and Barrie watched as a trickle of blood ran down his neck.

"I will kill you.  I hesitate to do that since the Princess speaks highly of you and would be most upset if I kill you."

"The Princess has told you about me."

The hope in his voice almost cut Barrie to the bone.  She pulled his hair which caused him to arch his head back.  Barrie gazed down into his eyes that stared defiantly back at her.  Barrie kept a tight hold on his hair knowing that this was the only way that she'd allow herself to show him any feelings.

"Yes, you are the only suitor that has caught her eye." 

Barrie released him and shoved him forward with a foot between the shoulder blades.  She swung her sword in a wide arch knowing that the blood would funnel down the center and clean itself.  Barrie sheathed her sword before she walked over and bowed to the King and Queen.  A whole host of suitors still waited their chance at fighting her, but Barrie fought them on her terms.  She refused to tire herself out and lose. 

Barrie had only taken a few steps when she heard the sound of running feet.  Her hand went to her sword as she spun around.  A group of suitors had broken free of the others and charged her.  She saw her death in their upraised swords.  Before she could even get her sword drawn something collided with her and shoved her aside.  She hit the ground and rolled.  The sight that greeted her stunned her.   Derek stood between her and the suitors.  His sword flashed in the sun as he cut down each and every suitor.  The last suitor fell and Derek turned and shouted at the crowd.

"Your actions betray you.  Do you think that the Princess will accept any of you who stab her champion in the back?  Give her champion respect or go home."

Barrie looked at everyone before she turned and stomped away.  She disappeared into the castle.  She was in a foul mood as she slammed the door to her chambers shut.  Grekken and the other two maids in waiting helped her out of her armor and bathed the sweat from her body.  Grekken tended to her injured forearm.  As soon as Grekken was finished tending her arm Barrie hurried over to the mirror.  She checked her reflection in the floor length mirror before she turned with a twirl of skirts.  Barrie hurried out of her room and all but ran down the stairs.  Barrie knew how striking she appeared in her yellow gown with cream petticoats. 

Barrie hurried to the healers where all of the suitors went after the tournament.  She paused inside the door and searched for Derek.  Her eyes found him and she stopped the healer that was headed towards him.

"I'll tend to him," Barrie said as she took the tray of healing herbs, water, and bandages from the healer.

The servant dipped a curtsy as she relinquished her hold on the tray. "Yes your Highness."

Barrie took a deep breath as she walked with careful steps over to where Derek sat with his shirt off.  His head was down and his hands where braced on his knees.  He looked up and his eyes widened in surprise as Barrie sank to her knees in front of him.

"Princess," Derek blurted.  "What are you doing here?  You shouldn't be tending to me."

Barrie shook her head as she placed the tray on the ground beside her.  "I am here because it is my duty.  In days of old the women of the royal family were the most gifted healers.  Even if that wasn't the case I want to tend to you."

"Why?" 

Barrie looked up at the heartfelt word.  A soft smile crossed her face as gazed up at Derek.  She reached up and brushed a damp lock of hair off his face.  Her fingers lightly brushed across his face.  "You saved my champion from death at the hands of a bunch of cowards.  I can never thank you enough for that.  That is why I have come.  The Black Wolf came to me after the tournament and told me what had happened.  I came as fast as I could."

"Is he okay?"

Barrie nodded as she began to wash Derek's wounds.  "My champion is fine.  You are the first to mark him.  His ego is a little hurt, but he will get over it."

Derek laughed and then winced as his wound across his ribs twinged.  Derek took a painful breath as he placed a hand against his ribs.  "I have to admit that that hurt.  Your champion hits hard."

Barrie smiled a secret smile at him as she continued to tend to his wounds.  Derek  watched her the entire time and Barrie was acutely aware of his gaze.  She finally finished tending to him.  Barrie stood gracefully and gazed down at the first man to catch her attention since Arthur. 

"You should rest."

Derek nodded as a healer took Barrie's place.  Barrie watched as the healer had Derek drink a tea that would ease his pain and coaxed him to lay down.  Barrie left the healers wing in a better mood than she had been earlier.  She was going to have to be more careful when she turned her back on the tourney grounds.  She'd ask Claude what he thought.  Maybe she could enlist Johnny's help and have him act as a guard who would stand by her as she left the tournament grounds.  She feared what those desperate for her hand in marriage would do.