Chapter 3

Barrie ran light footed through the alleyway and turned left towards the tanners.  She had gone just a few feet before someone shouted at her. Barrie turned to look and saw that it was Reuben.  She turned and fled.  She ran as fast as she could.  Barrie didn't make it far before Reuben caught up with her.  He grabbed her about the waist, yanked her off her feet, and threw her over his shoulder.

          "Reuben, put me down!" Barrie shouted.  She struggled as he carried her with swift foot steps towards the castle.  She continued to struggle till her walloped her painfully on her butt.  Barrie yelped and beat on his back with her fists.  Reuben hit her again, hard enough to bring tears to her eyes.

          "Keep it up Princess.  Every time you struggle I'm going to smack you again."

          "I hate you," Barrie said between gritted teeth.

          Reuben laughed as he hit her again.  "Oh I know Princess."

          Barrie hung upside down as Reuben started jogging towards the castle.  She was tempted to grab onto her back, but she didn't want to show weakness to him.  Anger and hatred burned in her little heart as he carried her to the castle.  Barrie hoped that he'd set her back down once they reached the castle, but he didn't.  To Barrie's complete humiliation, Reuben carried her into the throne room and deposited her at the foot of her parent's throne.

           Barrie looked up at them from beneath her wild her and wiped the snot from her nose.  Her father had a pained look on his face and her mother gave a huge sigh.  Servants whispered behind their hands and the nobles twittered about her.  Even her younger siblings gave her embarrassed looks.

          "Thank you Reuben for finding our daughter.  You will find an extra dracirum."

          Reuben bowed to the King.  "You are too kind your majesty."

          The King dismissed Reuben.  Barrie watched as Reuben gave her a smug look and walked cockily out of the throne room.  Her gaze was pulled back to her parent's as her mother ordered several of the servants to prepare a bath and scrub the filth off of her. 

          Her father leveled his stern gaze on her as he shook a finger at her.  "How many times have we told you not to go to the village without your handlers?"

          "But Poppa.." Barrie started to protest.

          Her father cut her off with a slicing movement of his hand.  "No buts Barrie.  You have disobeyed your mother and I.  You will be restricted to the grounds for a fortnight.  If you escape again I'll add another fortnight onto your punishment.  Do you understand me?"

          "Yes Poppa," Barrie sighed.

          "Good now go with Grekken."

          Barrie climbed stubbornly to her feet even though Grekken hand offered her a hand.  Barrie tried not to walk gingerly, but it was hard when her bottom felt as if it was on fire.  Her room seemed an awful long way away and she was almost limping by the time she got there.

          "You alright dearie," Grekken asked as she shut the door and moved forward to help Barrie undress.

          "No I'm not Grekken." Barrie said from between clenched teeth as the rough fabric brushed against her sensitive skin.  "I hate Reuben."

          "Did he lay a hand on you again?" Grekken asked as she turned and looked hard at Barrie.

          "Yes, he did."

          "You need to tell the King and Queen."

          "What good would it do?  He's a weasel and can wiggle his way out of anything."

          Grekken didn't say anything as she helped Barrie step into the tub of hot water.  Barrier winced as she sat down and the hot water stung her tender flesh.  After the initial sting it felt good and Barrie relaxed against the edge of the tub with a sigh.  Grekken got busy scrubbing the dirt from Barrie's pale skin.  She stayed quiet until she started washing Barrie's long thick hair.

          "What are you going to do Princess?"

          Barrie opened an eye and peaked up at Grekken.  Grekken peered down at her and Barrie giggled at the way she looked upside down.  Grekken smiled and tugged gently at her hair. 

          "Princess?"

          "I'm going to become the best warrior that I can be.  I will be stronger, smarter, and faster than Reuben.  In time I will be able to defend myself against him and when I do his life is forfeit."

          Grekken shook her head and wore a soft smile.  "You must be careful.  I will cover for you as much as I can, but you know as well as I what your parents expect of you."

          "I know and it drives me crazy," Barrie whined sounding exactly like a 10 year old.  "Why do they expect me to be like Cinderella?  She's nineteen and I'm only ten.  It's not fair."

          "Life isn't fair your majesty."

          Barrie didn't say anything as she blinked tears of frustration from her eyes.  Grekken finished washing her hair before she stood up and walked over to get a towel that was hanging by the fire.  She held it up and waited for Barrie to step into it.  Barrie held still as Grekken brusquely rubbed her skin dry and helped her dress.  Barrie wrinkled her nose at the pale yellow dress that was heavy with beading and too thin shoes that hurt her feet to walk.  Barrie stood impatiently in front of the mirror and fidgeted as Grekken did her hair.  Grekken stood back and looked at her handiwork.  She dusted off her hands before she spoke.

          "You are exactly what this kingdom needs Barrie."

          Barrie looked at Grekken's reflection in the mirror.  "And what is that Grekken?"

          Grekken placed her hands on her young charge's shoulders and squeezed gently.  "A Queen."

          Barrie turned her head and frowned up at Grekken.  She didn't have far to look because she was already up to Grekken's bosom.  "But we already have a queen.  My mother is Queen."

          "You're mother may be the Queen Barrie, but she's a weak Queen.  Our land needs a Queen who is strong and will stand by the King in times of war.  Your mother broke with tradition.  So did your grandmother and your grandmother's grandmother.  The Queens of our great country used to be warriors."  Grekken ran a strong work roughened hand down Barrie's cheek.  "You shall be the Queen that our country needs.  You will bring back the old ways.  Know that it'll be hard, but you have a lot of people standing behind you."

          Barrie turned and looked back at the mirror.  She gazed at her reflection for a long time before she spoke out loud.  "I'm ready."

          "Not yet Princess," Grekken said as she gave one final squeeze and let go of Barrie's shoulders.  "You need a lot of training before you are ready."

          "What type of training?" Barrie spun around in excitement.

          A bell sounded which signaled dinner.  Grekken shooed Barrie towards the door.  "Go to dinner Princess.  We'll talk later."

          Barrie pouted prettily before she gave Grekken an impish grin and ran downstairs for dinner not caring that she was going to get yelled out for being unladylike and running in the castle.