Chapter 61

Johnny was grateful to have his feet back on solid ground.  The journey back had been eventful.  The crew members that the Captain had spoke about did decide to mutiny.  They ended up killing one crew member and injuring several more.  The Captain had taken his punishment from their flesh.  Johnny didn't want to be those few men once they were brought onto solid ground.  The Captain had plans of taking them to the local Lord and punishing them some more.

Johnny moved easily through the port town of Baruth.  It was one of the seedier little towns but it had good food which made it a good town in Johnny's eyes.  He wandered through the town till he found the man who was keeping an eye on his horse.  The horse was tethered in the yard chomping on some grass.

"Hey there Killer.  How are you doing?"

Killer paused in his chewing and raised his roan colored head.  Once he saw that it was Johnny, he went back to eating.  Johnny walked up and started petting Killer's neck.  He ran his hands all over Killer, checking to see if he had any hidden injuries. 

"That there horse o' yours is very ornery."

Johnny stood up from checking Killer's hooves.  He looked over Killer's back to the toothless old man who stood leaning on a a blackened staff.  Johnny grunted as he walked around Killer.  He reached the old man and pulled a small bag of coins out of his shirt.  He handed the bag to the old man.

"That he is, but there's no other horse I'd rather call my own."

"How'd he get the name killer?"

Johnny looked down at the young boy who suddenly appeared beside the old man.  Johnny dropped down till he was on level with the boy.  He handed him a few coins before he tousled his hair.  "He got that name because the first day I tried to ride him he almost killed me."

"What did he do?"

Johnny stood back up.  "He threw me as soon as I mounted him.  That was the farthest I've ever flown."

The little boy laughed.  The old man gave him a toothless grin before he turned and hobbled back into his small hut.  The boy ran after him.  Johnny shook his head as he turned and climbed bare back onto Killer.  Killer tossed his head and snorted as Johnny turned Killer's head to the East.  He kept Killer at a trot till they left town, then he let Killer have his head.

The land flew by with Killer's ground eating lope.  Johnny kept Killer on a straight line to Barrie's camp.  They turned aside once they reached a river because they needed to find a place to cross.  Johnny road through the night and reached Barrie's camp at dawn.  Johnny let Killer slow down to a walk as they came into camp.

Johnny stopped at one of the makeshift paddocks.  A young stable boy came running forward as Johnny slid off of Killer's back.  Johnny left Killer with the stable boy and headed in search of Barrie's tent.  It took him little to no time to find Barrie's tent.  He stood outside the tent and scratched at the tent flap.

"Come in!"  Barrie's voice sang from inside the tent.

Johnny took a deep breath before he walked into the tent.  Barrie's face lit up with a smile as she saw him.  He shifted uncomfortably when Barrie gave him a hug.  Beau laughed at him which made him even more uncomfortable.  Grekken smacked Beau before she gave Johnny a smile.

"Don't mind him Johnny.  Beau used to act the same way when he was younger."

"What did you find out Johnny?"

Johnny accepted the drink Barrie gave him.  He wet his whistle before he began to relay everything that had happened since he'd left.  "I found the Captain that Claude had spoke about...."