Chapter 49

Barrie's body ached.  She was famished and felt like she was dying of thirst.  The last thing Barrie remembered was stumbling into the sentry and of being carried.  She had no recollection of things after that point.  If she hurt so bad then she must be alive.

Barrie struggled to open her eyes.  They felt gritty and heavy, but she got them open.  She blinked and looked about her in relief.  She was lying in her tent which meant that she was with her allies and not her enemies.  The light was muted which meant that it was either early morning or almost dusk.  The camp was quiet with only the faint sounds of an hammer falling on an anvil.  Barrie tried to push herself up, but she was so weak that all she managed to do was lift her head.  She flopped back down and had to be content with waiting for someone to walk into the tent.  She didn't have to wait long before the tent flap moved and Cinderella walked in with little Fleur following behind her.

A smile broke across Cinderella's face as she saw that Barrie was awake.  She sat down the armful of bandages she was carrying before she came over to where Barrie was lying.  Cinderella sat down on the edge of Barrie's bed and placed a hand on her forehead.

"How are you feeling?"

Barrie tried to speak, but her throat was so dry that it took her several tries to get any words out.  "I'm sore, hungry, and thirsty," she managed to croak.

Cinderella laughed softly as she reached over to a pitcher that sat next to Barrie's bed and poured her a glass of water.  She slipped a hand beneath Barrie's head and helped her drink.  Barrie wanted to guzzle the water, but she knew better than to do that.  Once when she was little, she got sick after drinking a bunch of water to fast.  Cinderella laid her head back down once the cup was empty.

"I'll let the cook know that you're awake and hungry.  I'm afraid that it'll just be a weak broth until your strong enough to eat more."

Barrie nodded her head weakly.  "Broth sounds wonderful."

Cinderella smoothed the blankets covering her as she stood.  "I'll go and get you some broth.  Fleur," Cinderella said as she turned to look at her daughter.  "How about you keep Barrie company okay?"

Little Fleur nodded.  Cinderella kissed the top of her head and left the tent.  Fleur watched Barrie with her big eyes.  Barrie closed her eyes and tried to breath through the pain she was feeling.  She opened her eyes when she felt the bed move.  A smile crossed her face as she moved her arm to let Fleur snuggled up beside her.  Barrie reveled in the feel of her daughter snuggled up next to her.  Barrie wrapped her arm around Fleur and buried her nose in her hair. 

Barrie was almost asleep when she heard Cinderella return.  She groggily opened her eyes to see Cinderella carrying a steaming bowl.  Cinderella moved aside and Beau stepped around her.  He smiled as he saw her.  Their were worry lines around his eyes and his face was haggard.  

"I was afraid that I would be burying you Barrie."

Barrie managed a weak chuckle.  "So was I."

Beau picked up Fleur and set her on her feet.  "Go and find Grekken sweetie.  Your Mother and I need to tend to Barrie."

Fleur looked up at Beau with guileless eyes before she said, "Yes Papa," and ran out the tent.

Beau shook his head as he watched her leave.  "It's hard to believe that she is five years old."  Beau turned and pinned Barrie with a pointed stare.  "She reminds me of someone I knew at that age."

"I wasn't hat bad."

Beau roared with laughter.  "You were worse.  If she becomes half of the child that you were I'll be happy."

Barrie's stomach growled as the scent of the broth finally reached her nose.  She tried to push herself up, but didn't get very far before Beau was there to help her sit up.  He propped her up with pillows and tucked the blankets about her waist.  He hovered in the background as Cinderella spoon fed her the broth.  To Barrie, the broth tasted like a feast.  By the time she finished the bowl she was full and sleepy.

"We'll let you sleep," Cinderella said as she stood up.

Barrie shook her head and stopped Cinderella with a weak hand.  "Don't go.  I want to know how long it's been since I was brought here and everything that has happened since."

Cinderella sat down as she looked back up at Beau.  Beau nodded to her.  Cinderella sat the bowl down and folded her hands in her lap as she sighed.  "It's been 3 cycles of the moon since you were brought here.  Spring is almost here and we are now camped near the Fjords of Skerepes."

Barrie felt her mouth fall open.  She'd been unconscious for 3 moon cycles.  "How is that even possible?"

"You were severely injured."  Beau sat down on the bed by her legs.  "You were almost dead when the sentry came stumbling into camp with you.  You were so pale and already had a fever.   Your wounds began to fester and it took all of the skill that Grekken had to keep you alive.  Death stood by your bedside for weeks before you took a turn for the better.  You wounds finally began to heal and your fever broke a fortnight ago."

Barrie remained silent as she digested that.  She'd known that she was severely injured, but she hadn't known that she was that bad.  Suddenly, a thought occurred to her which struck fear into her heart. 

"Is Derek still out there?"

Cinderella shook her head.  "As soon as you were brought in, Beau and Claude gathered a bunch of men and went a hunting for Derek.  They captured him about three weeks after you were brought here."

"Is he dead?"

"No," Beau's voice was filled with displeasure.  "I was all for killing him as soon as we found him, but Claude thought that we needed to keep him alive for information.  He has given us much information about your father and his plans.  Our mother," Beau paused long enough to give Barrie an aggravated smile which made Barrie giggle.  "Thought that we should keep him alive until we see what happens with you.  She thought that you'd want to see his punishment when you woke up and even help out with it."

Barrie digested that before she spoke in a faint pain filled voice.  "An example needs to be made and Derek will serve as that example.  I need to show my father and any future enemies that I am not a woman to be trifled with.  They will learn to fear me as an enemy."

"What will you do to him?"

Barrie gave Cinderella a blood thirsty grin.  "Derek will suffer the punishment that Warrior Queens of old reserved for those they hated or wanted to make an example of.  He will be publicly, but not by an executioner.   He will suffer death at the hands of the women who have lost loved ones in this war.  They will kill him as is their right."

Beau gave a slow nod.  "It will make your enemies think twice about attacking you.  It'll also give those women who do not wish to fight a chance to gain their vengeance against those who killed their loved ones."

Barrie nodded as she leaned her head back and closed her eyes.  Sleep was fast closing in upon her.  Before sleep claimed her she spoke once more to Beau and Cinderella.  "Let the army know that I am awake.  Spread the news of my survival.  Make sure that my father hears of it."

"As you wish."  Beau's voice sounded like it came from far away as sleep claimed Barrie.