Chapter 33

Barrie was sore as she sat down to dinner.  She sat to the left of the Queen after her siblings.  It was starting to irk Barrie how the Queen always gave her children the best seats.  Barrie sat beside her siblings and ignored them as she let her gaze sweep across the hall.  The chair beside her was empty and Barrie was dreading who she would find beside her tonight.  Her father had started placing a suitor next to her so once could capture her heart.  All it did was give Barrie insight into those she was to fight.

"May I join you Princess?"

Barrie looked up in surprise.  Derek stood beside her chair.  A smile tried to break across her face, but she kept it from becoming full fledged.  "Yes, you may."

Derek gave her a small bow before he sat in the chair beside her.  Barrie knew from Grekken that Derek was trying to figure out who her champion was.  She knew that and she decided that two could play at this game.  Barrie took a drink from her goblet before she spoke to Derek.

"My servants tell me that you have come from a far away kingdom."

"Your servants spoke true Princess.  My home lies many months journey to the east."

"Is it over the mountains?"

"Yes and no.  My home rests in a valley that sits between two mountain ranges that no one here has heard of."

"Have you come to fight my champion?"

Derek met her gaze before he spoke choosing his words with care.  "Truth to tell, no Princess I didn't.  I came this way on business.  I just happened to be passing through the village and heard several of the men talking about the tournament to be held that day.  Curiosity got the better of me and I decided to go and see what this tourney was about."

Barrie was intrigued by this man.  It soothed her irritated nerves that he hadn't come to gain her hand in marriage.  He had just happened to be in the right place at the right time.  "Why have you stayed?"

A servant stopped by them and Derek chose the choicest bits of meat to put on her plate.  He didn't speak till he had served her.  "I am curious your champion.  He is an expert swordsman and yet no one knows of who he is.  Where did you by chance find him?"

Barrie gave a delicate shrug as she took a bite of meat.  She closed her eyes in pleasure.  The cook had out done himself again.  She'd have to remember to stop by and praise him on his cooking.  Derek remained silent as he waited for her to speak.  Barrie took another sip of wine before she answered him.

"He is an old friend of mine."

"How is it that no one knows who he is?"

Barrie gave Derek a secretive smile.  "I have many parts of my life that I have kept hidden from all but a select few.  I can count on both my hands the number of people that I trust and I can hold in one hand those who know the true me."  Barrie cupped her left hand before she made a pouring motion.  "They are the ones who know me best."

Derek frowned.  "I've talked to many who claim to know you intimately."

Barrie laughed.  "There was only one who knew me intimately and they are dead."

"I am sorry."  Derek's voice grew quite and his eyes went soft. 

Barrie shook her head and did what she'd never done to another man in public.  She laid a hand softly on his arm.  "I do not want your condolences my lord.  I loved this person and they betrayed me.  I knew them since I was a child and they betrayed my trust and almost killed me."

Anger darkened Derek's eyes.  He closed them and inhaled slowly before he opened his eyes.  "If this man was still alive..."  Derek paused as Barrie laughed.

"I never said it was a man.  For all you know, it couldn't been a woman I was talking about."

A servant came by to refill their goblets.  Barrie ate in silence.  She left Derek to his thoughts knowing that he was trying to figure her out.  The evening meal drew to a close.  Derek stood when she stood and bid her a god night.  Barrie dipped her head in respect before she left the table. 

Barrie was halfway to her chambers when Claude stopped her.  He drew her aside and they conversed in hushed tones.  Claude motioned for Barrie to follow him and Barrie did.  Neither one knew that Derek had stumbled upon them and decided to follow them.  He trailed them throughout the palace till they stopped in one of the lower regions of the castle that was dark and dank.

Barrie waited underneath the light of a torch while Claude disappeared into the darkness.  Derek watched as she fiddled with something on her dress.  Her eyes glittered in the torch light as her gaze swept the hallway.  She turned and stared into the darkness just as Claude stepped up.  Claude stepped into the torch light carrying a chain mail shirt.  He spoke softly to her as he pulled on the chain mail. 

Barrie spoke and held her hand out for it.  Derek expected her to drop it since chain mail was heavy and he doubted the Princess had lifted anything heavier than her basket of herbs.  He was surprised when she held the thing with ease.  She tested the strength of it and inspected the tiny rings.  She said something as she looked up at Claude.  Claude answered as he pulled out a dagger and made a stabbing motion at the chain mail.  Barrie seemed pleased with whatever he had told her because she nodded as she draped the chain mail over her arm. 

Claude sheathed his dagger as a section of wall fell away to reveal the boy Derek had seen the Princess with the other day.  The boy grinned at them as he jumped out of the opening.  Claude seemed to admonish the boy while the Barrie spoke with a soft voice and gave him a gentle smile.  The boy didn't seem phased as he pulled a dagger from beneath his clothes and presented it to the Princess.  Derek watched as the Princess checked the blade and ended up cutting her finger.  She waved the two men away as she stuck her finger in her mouth.  Derek's hormones roared to life as he watched her suck on her finger. 

The torch light flickered as a cool breeze blew through the tunnel.  Derek knew not where this tunnel led, but he could smell water.  Claude said something which caused the boy to hiss at him. Barrie smacked him on the arm which caused him to glare at her.  The Princess shook a finger at him before she spoke.  The boy appeared contrite before he reached back into the hole he'd come out of and pulled bag out.  He slung it over his shoulder and headed off into the darkness.  Claude made a motion for the Princess to go ahead of him.  The Princess stepped forward and placed the chain mail and dagger into the opening before she touched something on the wall.  The wall swung shut as she headed off after the boy with Claude following.

Derek waited till he couldn't hear their footsteps anymore before he crept forward.  He stopped in front of the torch light and studied the wall across from the torch.  He ran his hands all over the wall.  He knew the opening was there and yet he couldn't feel anything out of the ordinary or see where the opening had been.  Derek finally gave up after many long minutes spent studying the wall.  He glared at the wall frustrated before turned and walked back down the darkened corridor with silent feet. 

There were many mysteries in this castle and they all seemed to involve the Princess.  As Derek topped the stairs that led to the main part of the castle he was surprised to find Barrie in deep conversation with one of maids in waiting.  He stopped and stared at her.  How did she get all the way from where he'd last seen her to here before he had.  There was something fishy going on with the Princess, the mysterious boy, and the man named Claude and Derek was going to find out what it was.