Chapter 35

Barrie was walking in one of the numerous gardens that dotted the land surrounding the palace.  The Queen hated spending time outside, but Barrie and always enjoyed the gardens.  It offered her an escape.  In the garden she could be herself.  Barrie wandered the twisting paths and didn't mind that her skirts caught on the overgrowth.  Night had fallen and she moved through the garden unconsciously.  Her feet didn't stumble nor did she hesitate.  She knew where each and every tree and plant was.

The sound of splashing reached her ears and Barrie knew that a wide shallow fountain was up ahead.  The gentle wind kicked up a cool mist from the cascading water.  Barrie smiled as she kicked off her shoes and stepped into the fountain.  She walked and splashed in the fountain.  Memories hit her like a ton of bricks and she abruptly stopped.  Sadness descended over her as she thought of the last time she'd done this.  It had been just before her and Arthur had retired to the hunting lodge.  Which reminded her, it was past time that she see her daughter. 

Barrie jumped and spun around as she heard a branch snap.  Her eyes searched the darkness.  "Who's there?" She cried.

A shadow detached itself from the darkness and stepped forward into the weak moonlight.  Barrie relaxed as she recognized the set of Derek's shoulders.  "You startled me."

Derek stopped before her and bowed.  "Forgive me Princess.  I needed to clear my head and I found this unoccupied garden.  I didn't mean to disturb you.  I will leave if you wish it."

Barrie shook her head as she reached out to stop Derek as he turned away.  "Nay do not go.  I come here regularly to find solace and solitude.  The Queen doesn't use the gardens.  They are just as I like them, wild and unkept."

Derek paused and turned back to her.  "Something weighs heavily on my mind."  Derek paused and many minutes went by.  Barrie was about ready to ask him what when he finally spoke.  "There is talk amongst the servants about how...odd you are."

Barrie giggled which caused Derek to look at her.  "If that's all they are saying about me then they are being nice.  I am odd compared to other peoples standards.  You will find that out too if you defeat my champion."

Derek let out a puff of aggravated hair as his hand dove into his hair.  He walked away from her before he swung back around and met her gaze.  His eyes were filled with passion and despair as his gaze swept over her.  "How am I to do that if I can't defeat you champion?  He is the best that I've ever seen.  Who trained him?  Where is he from?"

Barrie let out a tired sigh and climbed out of the fountain.  Derek offered her a hand and held on until she was standing firmly on the ground.  Barrie walked over and sat down on a bench hard enough to make the breath leave her body.  She gazed down at her nightdress.  She kept her head bowed as she started to speak.

"You ask too many questions Derek.  Questions that could harm me if the wrong ears here them."

Derek sat down beside her as he took her hands.  He drew her gaze to him and spoke earnestly.  "I would never do anything to cause you harm."

Barrie gave a humorless laugh.  "The last time someone said that they tried to do harm to me."  Barrie turned her gaze upon the moon.  She stared at it before she inhaled the heady aroma of the garden.  She gave a bone weary sigh before she started to talk.  "I have known the Black Wolf my whole life.  He came from a family that expected something different from him.  With my friendship he began to trust himself and dream of things far beyond his reach.  The Black Wolf helped me in return."

"What did he help you with?"

Barrie shook her head at Derek's question and kept talking.  "The Black Wolf grew up in a village not far from this very palace.  He was intrigued by me, a Princess who didn't act like a Princess, and he helped get me out of a few rough patches.  The Black Wolf was taught by a friend of mine.  He soon outstripped my friend's skill and with my cousin's help we found him a better teacher.  The rest, as some people say, is history."

"I'd like to meet this Black Wolf."

Barrie couldn't help but smile at Derek as she teased him.  "You've already met him and he defeated you."

Derek colored slightly as he reached up and rubbed at his neck.  "Yes, well what I meant to say was that I'd like to meet him out of the lists."

"Why?"

Derek met Barrie's gaze before he reached up and rubbed a curled piece of hair between his fingers.  "I'd like to know how to gain your attention."

Barrie blushed and hid her eyes behind her long eyelashes.  She blinked a few times before she looked up at Derek from beneath her lashes.  "You've already gained my attention.  Out of all of the suitors who have come to win my hand and my kingdoms throne, you are the only one who hasn't made  a pass at me or tried to do harm to one of my ladies in waiting."

Derek surprised Barrie by bringing her hand to his lips and placing a gentle kiss on the back of her hand.  Butterflies erupted in her stomach at the unexpected gesture.  It had been close to three years since Arthur had died and she craved a man's touch.  Barrie stood abruptly which caused Derek to sit back.  He started to stand and Barrie wasted no time in fleeing in.  She left him standing alone in the garden lost and confused. 

Barrie made it to her room before her tears fell.  She stumbled into her room and threw herself down beside her bed.  She buried her face in her arms and cried her heart out.  Arms surrounded her and the sweet familiar scent of Grekken enveloped her.  Barrie turned her face into her mother's bosom and cried.  Grekken held her as she crooned comforting words.  Barrie cried for the feelings she had for Derek, for the daughter that rarely saw, and for the man who had broken her heart. 

A change happened in Barrie that night as she cried.  The tiny piece of her heart that she had hardened against the world finally softened and broke away.  It had always been there since she could remember and it had finally broken this night because of the kind and gentle motions of a man who wanted to claim her heart, but refused to defeat her champion.

"What am I to do Mother?"  Barrie sobbed.

Grekken patted her head.  "I'm not sure sweetie, but we will figure this out.  We must or this kingdom will fall."