Chapter 24

"I feel huge Arthur."

Arthur turned from where he stood stoking the fire.  The firelight lit his face and gave it an eerie look.  He stepped back from the fire and his face evened out and Barrie let out a sigh of relief.  Since they'd been living at the hunting lodge Barrie was beginning to see a different side of Artur.  It was one she didn't like.  He was becoming more and more controlling.  Just the other day he actually raised a hand against her.  It had brought tears to her eyes even to think about it.  The man she though was Arthur was just a ruse. 

"You're pregnant Barrie.  Women always feel huge when they're pregnant."

Barrie's brows pulled together in a frown.  "Watch your tongue Arthur.  You may be my lover, but I am still your princess."

Arthur's lips turned up in a cruel sneer.  "Your crown will be taken from you if your parents ever discovered that you slept with a a commoner."

"Get out."  Barrie's tone was filled with deadly calm.  "I want you out of this lodge now."

Anger descended over Arthur's face.  He stalked forward in a predatory fashion.  He got up in Barrie's face and pressed her back against her chair and pinned her there.  "Are you going to make me?"

Barrie's face was pale, but a hidden well of strength rose up from within her as she pressed her dagger against his stomach.  "Back off Arthur.  I don't want to hurt you, but I will."

Arthur laughed cruelly.  Barrie winkled her nose as she smelled Arthur's breath.  Ale was strong upon it and Barrie's eyes widened as she registered the look in his eyes.  "Grekken!" Barrie screeched as she tried to push Arthur away.  He grabbed her wrists and back handed her hard across the face.  Barrie kicked her legs as best as she could and managed to catch Arthur between his legs.  He grabbed himself and the look in his eyes were evil.  Barrie made a calculated move and stabbed Arthur in the stomach with her knife.  He stumbled back just as Grekken and Claude came running into the run.  Claude grabbed Arthur and threw him to the ground as Grekken rushed to Barrie's side. 

"Easy Princess easy.  Take deep breaths.  That's right breath.  Slow your heart rate.  Keep calm.  You're baby isn't ready to be born yet.  That it Princess."

Barrie listened to Grekken's instructions and worked on calming herself.  Grekken's hands were busy smoothing Barrie's hair and fluttering about her body.  Barrie leaned her head back as she inhaled huge calming breaths.  Her eyes were focused on Claude and Arthur.  They were in the middle of a fight.  Barrie knew that Arthur's life was forfeit and it brought tears to her eyes.  She closed her eyes and let out a huge sob as just as Claude pulled Arthur's head back.  Barrie buried her face in Grekken's chest as she heard the gurgling of Arthur's severed throat and the thump of his head.  Grekken kept Barrie's face hidden as Claude disposed of the body.

"Are you alright?"

Barrie looked up at Grekken with tear stained cheeks.  She refused to look at the bloody spot where Arthur had died.  Barrie shook her head as she pressed her hand against her mouth.  A sob shook her body.  "N...no Grekken.  I'm not alright.  I've been betrayed by a man I loved and one I thought loved me.  What did I do wrong Grekken?  What did I do wrong?"

Grekken grabbed Barrie's face and held it securely as she looked carefully into her young charge's grief filled eyes.  "You did nothing wrong Barrie," Grekken said slowly.   "You understand me.  You did nothing wrong.  Arthur was weak willed and let greed and the thought of power take a hold of him.  You will find a man who'll love you for who you are.  Arthur was afraid of the changes he saw in you and he tried to control you out of fear.  Love your child Barrie.  Do not blame him for his father's mistakes."

Barrie nodded as she sat there and wept.  She didn't move as Claude and Grekken cleaned up the blood spill.  Her sobs subsided and all could be heard was a random hiccup.  Her tears had run dry and red rimmed eyes followed Claude and Grekken as they worked on a story to tell the masses about what had happened.  A real letter will be sent to Beau from Claude.  Barrie sat with her head bowed looking down at her swollen belly.  She was three fourths of the way through her pregnancy and it killed her that Arthur wouldn't be there to see their baby.  If only he hadn't changed. 

"Come on pet," Grekken said as she helped Barrie to her feet.  "Let's get your something hot to warm you up and then we'll put you to bed."

All Barrie could do was nod.  She was so cold that it caused her teeth to shake.  It reminded her of all the times that Grekken had taken care of Barrie when she had been sick.  Right now, Barrie didn't think she'd ever be warm again or that she'd ever love anyone the way she'd loved Arthur.  She'd forever miss the little boy who she'd befriended.  How could she not have seen this coming?  Barrie knew the answer to that.  This wasn't the first time that Arthur had gotten mean to her, but it was the first time he'd ever decided to hit her.