Chapter 30

Barrie took a deep breath and tried to calm her nerves.  It was the day of the tournament and Barrie felt like she did the first night she and Arthur slept together.  Butterflies had made a nice home in her stomach and her palms were beginning to sweat.  Her heart rate started to pick up and her breathing started to change.

The sun shone brightly overhead and the wind was hot and strong.  Barrie welcomed the wind.  It cooled her sweaty skin.  The wind carried the sounds of the arena to where she stood with Claude and Grekken.  Claude was going to act as her valet and Grekken was pretending to be watching on behalf of Barrie.  Barrie even had a scarf so that people would think she'd given it as a token of favor.

"Are you ready?"

Barrie glanced over at Grekken and nodded nervously.  "I think so, but I'm worried about what to do when father asks me a question."

"That's easy.  I'll let the King know that you have taken a vow of silence and haven't spoken a word in the past 3 years," Claude said from beside her.

Barrie looked over at Claude.  He stood beside her with his arms crossed.  His eyes were fixed on something in the distance.  Barrie couldn't help but study the line of his jaw and the laugh lines that crinkled around his eyes.  His beard was neatly trimmed and his hair was a little shaggy around the edges.  Claude must have sensed her stare because he looked at her with his warm eyes.  They glittered today with life and Barrie was glad that he was here with her.

Claude reached over and clapped her on the shoulder.  "Do not worry.  You will do fine today.  Just keep your mind focused.  Everyone is nervous the first time they go into battle."

"Were you nervous?"

Claude laughed.  "I was so nervous that I dropped my sword and almost got impaled.  I was scared shitless, but my nerves fell away as my training kicked in.  Just know that the men you're fighting will be just as nervous.  They will be secretly hoping that you'll be watching from one of the palace windows."

Barrie nodded and jumped as the trumpets sounded.  She took a deep breath and shook herself before she started forward.  The walk to the tournament field seemed to take an eternity.  The volume slowly increased till it was deafening inside her helmet.  There were hundreds of people there gathered to watch the combatants fight.  All of the suitors stood in a group and Barrie personally knew that there were at least 2 dozen there.  She had her work cut out for her, but she'd been studying them since they'd gotten here.  Barrie followed Claude across the field to stop in front of the King and Queen.  From the corner of her eyes, Barrie saw Grekken head over and take a seat next to Barrie's empty chair. 

"May I present to your Royal Majesties the Princess Barrie's champion."  Claude moved aside and bowed with a graceful sweep of his arm.

Barrie went down on one knee, fisted her right hand over her heart and bowed.  She remained that way until the King told her to rise.  Barrie rose and stared boldly up at the King and Queen.  The King studied her with narrowed eyes.

"Take off you helmet and let me see your face."

Barrie raised her chin in defiance.  The King's eyes narrowed dangerously.  "Remove your helmet."

Claude stepped in and spoke smoothly.  "Forgive him your Majesty.  He is following the orders of the Princess.  She asks that his face not be revealed in order to protect him from sabotage."

The King's eyes swung to pin Claude with his razor sharp gaze.  "Can the man not speak for himself?"

Claude bowed his head and spoke in an apologetic voice.  "He suffered a throat injury when he was a lad my Lord.  He is all but mute."