Chapter 53

"King Johann!"

Johann turned around to see General Tillian marching towards him with short staccato steps.  His face was grim went meant bad news. 

"What is it General?"

Tillian stopped in front of him and rested a hand on the pummel of his sword.  He took a deep breath and let it out as a heavy sigh.  Tillian was still dressed in his war clothes which meant that he had just come from the field.  That in itself was bad news.  Tillian always changed into court clothes when he came to the castle.

"That bad."

Tillian raised an eyebrow.  "How can you tell?"

Johann directed his gaze to Tillian's dress.  "You're still dressed for war."

Tillian looked down at himself and grunted.  He redirected his gaze at Johann.  "I thought you'd want what information my spies brought back immediately."

Johann flicked his eyes up and down Tillian before he turned and walked to the his desk and picked up his goblet.  He motioned at Tillian with his goblet.  "What news do you have?"

TIllian hesitated before he spoke.  Johann noticed and found it completely out of character.  Tillian was one that spoke his mind.  For him to hesitate meant that he had news he knew was bad and didn't want to be the bearer of bad news.

"Speak!" Johann demanded as he raised his goblet and took a swig.

TIllian sighed again before he spoke.  "My spies found out what happened to Derek and his men."

Johann offered Tillian a drink.  Tillian gratefully accepted and poured himself some wine.  "Barrie?"

Tillain nodded as he lowered his goblet.  Wine dribbled through his beard and Tillian wiped it away.  "Aye my lord.  My spies found what was left of them.  They had been butchered.  Each and every man was bound to a stake with multiple wounds about their body.  Anything that could be cut off was gone and their eyes had been gouged out."

Johann moved away from his desk and stood in front of the fire.  He stared into the flickering flames for a long time before he turned and spoke to Tillian.  "Did you find my daughter?"  Tillian's silence was all the answer that Johann needed.  He gave a grim nod as he moved to stair out his study window.

"What shall we do your majesty?"

Johann took a drink before he spoke.  "We wait.  Barrie won't stay quiet for long.  She'll send a missive to me or attack some of my soldiers."

"She is a formidable foe."

Johann turned piercing eyes on Tillian.  Tillian stood his ground and refused to flinch like most men did.  He was impressed and knew that he had chosen the right man to be his right hand man.

"I should have kept a better watch on her.  She spent to much free time roaming around."

"Orders, my lord"

Johann walked over to his map table and studied the outdated map.  He had better ones, but it seemed that when Barrie had disappeared, she'd raided his map room.  He pointed a well manicured hand at a spot on the map.

"Send your spies here.  Barrie always favored the woods and orchards.  Look to areas like this.  You'll find her."

Tillian studied the map before he spoke what was on his mind.  "What do we do if we don't find her?"

Johann stared down at the map.  "Then we'll search the kingdom till we find her.  She will not win this war.  If you happen to capture her bring her to me.  Make sure she is alive."

"What about King Beau?"

Johann looked at Tillian with deadly intent in his eyes.  "Kill him.  I'll give any man who kills him, his family. and his mother 100 gold coins."

Tillian place a hand on his sword and snapped his legs together as he bowed his head.  "It will be done your majesty."

Johann watched the general walk away.  He drained his goblet of wine as he headed back to his desk.  He sat down and pulled out several pieces of paper.  Barrie's handwriting was unmistakable.  Johann glared moodily down at the letters before he pulled a piece of parchment over to him and dipped a pen in ink.   He bent his head and started to write.  His plan was to send bribery letters to a select group of men who's reputations preceded them wherever they went.  Johann knew these men intimately.  They were his childhood friends and he knew that he could count on their help.