Chapter 17

Arthur gaped up at the castle that loomed over them as they rode over the draw bridge and through the portcullis into the bailey yard.  King Beau's palace was huge.  It mimicked Barrie's, but this one showed more upkeep.  You could tell that King Beau cared more about his home than Barrie's did about theirs.  No wonder why Barrie like spending time here.

People came out to greet the King and Queen.  Servants and those of noble blood rubbed elbows easily as they greeted their monarchs home.  Cheers went up and greetings were shouted to the King and Queen.  The people here even shouted greetings to Barrie who smiled and waved back at them.  Something tugged at Arthur's pant leg and he looked down to see a child clinging to his leg.  The boys mischievous grin made him smile as he picked the boy up and placed him before him on the saddle.  A man jogged easily beside Arthur with a smile on his face and laughter in his eyes. 

"I'll take him from you sir."

Arthur passed the boy to the man and tossed a hard won coin to the boy.  The boy's face beamed with joy and he waved wildly at Arthur.  A smile remained plastered on Arthur's face as they rode into the upper bailey where they dismounted.  A man slightly older than Arthur's 18 years walked up to him and stuck his hand out.  Arthur took it and shook the man's hand.  The man had a strong grip and Arthur knew that he worked in the forge.

"My name's Robin.  You'll be bunking with me until we can get you a room."

"I don't need much space," Arthur said as he let go of Robin's hand.  "Something big enough to stretch out in.  I don't like sleeping in big rooms."

Robin nodded as his eyes appraised Arthur.  He seemed to find what he was looking for because he snorted and motioned for Arthur to follow him.  "Come and let's get you settled.  The sooner you're settled the sooner you can get to work."

Arthur looked back to see Barrie in deep conversation with her cousin.  "Who will take care of my horse?"

Robin glanced back at Arthur.  "One of the stable boys now come on.  We have a lot to do before nightfall."

Arthur turned and followed Robin as he led him across the bailey and into the blacksmith shops.  The sound of ringing metal was a comfort to Arthur's ears and he welcomed the hot heat that flowed out of the fire with every puff of the billows.  Robin led him quickly around the forge before he showed him where he'd be sleeping.  The room was big in Arthur's eyes, but with two people in it, it would be just the right size.  Robin showed him where the kitchens and baths were before they headed back to the forge. 

Robin leaned up against one of the brick walls which radiated with heat.  He crossed his arms and rested his right foot against the wall as he studied Arthur.  His eyes took in everything from Arthur's long hair, tall stature, and muscular arms down to his big feet and legs the size of a small tree.  Robin nodded as he pushed himself away from the wall.

"How long have you been a blacksmith?"

Arthur crossed his arms as he shrugged.  "My Mum threw me out when I was barely 8 years old.  Master Ballard took me in a few months later and started training me how to work metal.  Not along ago I was given a job in the castle.  The Princess brought me along with the thought of having me learn some new skills here that I could show the others at home."

Robin seemed impressed.  "You must have some skill if the Princess wanted you to come here.  Are you close to the Princess?"

"When she was little she would sneak away from here keepers and lose them in the village where I lived.  The first time I met her she about knocked my teeth out when she ran into me.  She liked to spend time in Master Ballard's shop because her keepers never bothered to look for her there.

Robin laughed.  "The Princess is a little spitfire.  We've seen her fiery spirit and it's enough to make everyone stay out of her way."

A man walked up and Robin introduced him as Master Rollo.  Master Rollo was short with big wiry arms and a barrel chest which made him look almost as wide as he was tall.  He had blue eyes that crinkled at the corners, coarse blonde hair, and a booming voice.

"I know Ballard," Master Rollo boomed.  "He's a good blacksmith.  Lets see if he trained you well."

"Yes sir," Arthur said as he moved over to one of the free fires and began showing off his skills.