Chapter 21

Barrie snuggled deep into her warm bed.  A smile lay lightly on her face as she thought of the past few hours that she and Arthur had spent at the cottage.  A year had passed since they had taken up residence at Beau's palace.  Barrie liked it here much better than she did at home.  She had a sense of freedom here that she'd never had a home. 

A delicious soreness was beginning to spread across her body.  It was a combination of spending intimate time with Arthur and the intense training Beau was putting her through.  At the moment she was learning how to fight on horseback.  It was harder than it looked and it was a good thing that she was a skilled horsewoman.  Arthur was getting better at riding too which was good.

Barrie rolled over onto her back and draped one arm across her forehead as she gazed at the canopy above her head.  She had a long day ahead of her, but sleep eluded her like it had been all week.  For some reason she was anxious.  Barrie knew the reason why and she hoped that she was wrong.  She wanted nothing more than Arthur's love, but she was afraid that a child would ruin everything for them.  Barrie was of age to choose her own husband, but it wasn't a good idea to have a child outside of marriage.  Her moon flow was overdue, but she'd done this before.  She hoped that it was just late.

Barrie raised her head as the door to her room swung open.  Grekken walked through carrying a tray piled high with food.  Barrie sat up and sniffed the air in appreciation.  "Hmm, it sure smells good Grekken."

Grekken sat the tray down with a huff and glared at her.  "Bout time you got in.  I had an awful time trying to convince that young nobleman that you were indisposed."

Barrie tried and failed to hide a smile.  Grekken tried to hold onto her glare, but failed miserably.  She let out a sigh as she motioned for Barrie to come over to the table.  Barrie climbed out of bed and wrapped a sheet about her nude body before she sat down and tucked in.  Grekken watched her closely before she handed her a glass of water. 

"Have you received your moon flow yet?"

Barrie stopped drinking and eating long enough to shake her head.  She swallowed what was in her mouth before she spoke.  "No and it has me worried.  I'd love to have a child with Arthur, but not right now.  I don't know what to do."

"Tell Arthur the truth love.  He deserves to know."

Barrie nodded.  "I know and I told him last night.  He's excited at the prospect of a child, but also scared about the consequences."

"Give it a few more days Princess.  You should let Beau and Cinderella know."

Barrie sighed and made a face.  She played with her food before she reluctantly took a bite.  "There's no way I'll be able to be a Warrior Queen with a child."

Grekken knelt down beside her and placed a hand on her arm.  "Do not give up hope.  Your ancestors used to fight while pregnant and you can too.  You can train easily and perfect your archery.  There are ways to hide a growing and changing body.  We'll figure this out."

Barrie smiled weakly at Grekken as she leaned her head against Grekkens.  Grekken patted her head before she stood back up.  "Finish you're breakfast.  If you are carrying Arthur's seed you will need to eat plenty."

Barrie giggled as she tucked back into her breakfast.  Grekken sang as she puttered around the room.  Barrie smiled as she listened to Grekken sing.  It was Grekken's way of easing her mind and letting her know that everything was going to be alright.