Chapter 12

"I have a letter for you Princess."   Grekken whispered as she waited on Barrie.  Barrie barely flicked an eyelash even as excitement well up within her chest.

Barrie raised a hand and feigned a yawn.  "Keep it safe for me."

"Of course Princess."

Grekken moved away and Barrie had to keep herself from fidgeting.  She stared out at the tables spread beneath where she sat.  Today was her Mother's birthday and this was her celebration feast.  Nobles from across the land had gathered to celebrate the Queen's birthday.  A dozen of the courtiers were busy trying to gain Barrie's attention.  She was a catch at 16 years old and was ripe for marriage.  Barrie had spent the past year fending off advances. 

"Princess?'

Barrie looked at the noble beside her who had spent the entire dinner trying to woo her.  He had an expectant look on his face and Barrie wondered what he was going to do next.

"May I choose the dessert?"

Barrie raised an eyebrow at him.  "No you may not."  She turned her head as his face fell and ignored him for the rest of the evening.

As the Queen dismissed everyone from dinner Barrie made her escape.  She took to the twisting corridors of the palace till she made it around to one of the storerooms.  Barrie quickly ducked inside and hid behind one of the bags of potatoes.  She was just starting to get cramped when the door opened and a voice hissed, "Princess."

Barrie popped up from behind the potatoes.  Grekken spotted her immediately.  She looked both ways before she passed Barrie the letter.  Barrie quickly opened and scanned the letter.  A smile broke across her face as her eyes flashed up to Grekken.  She held the letter out for Grekken to read.  Grekken's eyes took a little longer to read the letter, but her smile was a soft knowing smile.

"He misses you Princess.  That's a good sign.  I hear hope in the letter and whispers of things that he's not ready to say out loud yet."

"Can you help me sneak out tonight?"

Grekken's face split into a mischievous grin which made her look years younger.  "Of course I can.  I used to sneak around and rendezvous with the boys.  I'll get you at midnight and we'll sneak through the servants quarters."

"You're coming with me!" Barrie asked in surprise.

"Yes Princess.  I know you can handle yourself, but with all these extra men about I don't want you going by yourself.  Be sure to keep your dagger with you and to pull your hair back and hide your face."

"Yes Grekken.  I don't know what I'd do without you."

Grekken laughed at her charge.  "I'm sure you'd figure out how to do it on your own.  You're very resourceful."

Barrie laughed before she slipped past Grekken.   She headed down the corridor and made sure that she stuck to the back ways.  Servants moved aside and bowed as she went past.  Many smiled at her and several offered her winks which made her grin impishly back at them.  These servants were the ones who were in Grekken's confidence and helped her with the things that were considered unprincess like.

Grekken woke Barrie at midnight.  Barrie stirred sleepily as Grekken pulled the covers off of her.  "Wake up Princess.  It's midnight."

Barrie yawned sleepily and let Grekken help her dress.  She looked down at the servant clothes and twitched the skirts.  "I should wear this more often."

"Why?" Grekken asked over her shoulder as she rummaged through Brekken's closet. 

"I like how airy it feels."

Grekken giggled.  "Oh just you wait.  Servant clothing gets even better.  Just think of how easy it'd be to toss your skirts up and let your man have his way with you."

Barrie blushed and giggled as she imagined Arthur doing that to her.  She fanned her cheeks and pushed those thoughts away.  Arthur was 18 years old now and Barrie had secured him a job in the palace blacksmith shops.

"I'm ready if you are Princess."

"I am Grekken, but please don't call me princess.  I don't want people to know it's me."

"What shall I call you?"

Barrie thought about it.  Her mind settled on the one complement Arthur had given her one day about her hair.  "Call me Raven."

"As you wish Princess."

Grekken opened the secret door that lay behind the tapestry in Barrie's bedroom.  They moved in and the door shut quietly behind them.  Grekken led her easily through the darkness and into her own room.  They exited Grekken's room and moved quietly through the dark corridors.  They met no one till they came upon on of the guards.  The guard gave Grekken a saucy wink and inclined his head to Barrie.  Once they made it outside Barrie asked Grekken who that was.

"That is one of the reasons why I love being a servant."

Barrie giggled and followed Grekken into the woods.  Once in the woods they moved a lot more freely.  Barrie was bursting with excitement as they reached the river.  The moon shone brightly on the water and winked at them as they came underneath her shinning light. 

"Arthur," Barrie called out softly.

A shadow detached itself from the rocks and moved towards them.  Barrie couldn't contain her excitement and she ran forward.  Arthur caught her and spun her around as she threw her arms about him in a hug.  Barrie surprised all of them by kissing Arthur.  Arthur seemed surprised before he tentatively kissed her back.  They pulled apart when Grekken cleared her throat.  Barrie looked shyly up at Arthur who appeared flustered.  Arthur offered her a rare smile before he drew her to the river and helped her sit.  Grekken followed and took a seat not far away.

The night was alive with noise around them as Barrie and Arthur talked softly.  They sat close enough for their arms to touch.  Grekken listened quietly and interrupted from time to time to correct Barrie on something.  Dawn was beginning to color the sky when they said goodbye.  Grekken got them both back into Barrie's room. 

"We need to tread carefully from here on out Princess."

Barrie offered her a tired, but joyful smile.  "I know Grekken.  I know."