Chapter 18

Barrie skipped happily down the back stairway.  Servants moved out of the way as she came down.  Barrie flashed them smiles and waved gaily at them.  She was in a good mood.  Arthur had stayed the night instead of going back down to his room.  Nothing happened, but that was okay with Barrie.  Arthur had been exhausted and Barrie had loved the feel of his arm against her stomach.

"Princess," Cinderella hissed at her as she reached the bottom of the stairs.  "You need to act more lady like."

Barrie skid to a halt causing her skirts to swish around her.  "Why Cinderella?  Why should I act all high and mighty.  Servants will do more for you if you treat decently."

Cinderella shook her head as she slipped her arm through Barrie's.  Barrie smiled and hugged Cinderella close.  The past month had bee good for Cinderella.  She was becoming more and more like the old Cinderella.  Barrie was happy and she knew that Beau was overjoyed.  Even Cinderella herself seemed happier.

"We need to talk Barrie."

"Oh, what about?"

Cinderella shook her head as she led Barrie down the hallway.  Cinderella refused to answer any of Barrie's questions until she had them closeted away in one of the rooms that served as a parlor for visiting.  Cinderella settled down into her chair and started pouring tea.  Barrie sat down opposite Cinderella and picked up a tea biscuit.  She nibbled on it as she waited for Cinderella to talk.  Cinderella handed Barrie her tea and stirred some sugar into hers.  She took a careful sip before she sat the cup down, folded her hands, and pinned Barrie with the old servant stare that Cinderella never could get rid of.

"I want to talk to you about Arthur."

Barrie had to keep from fidgeting.  She took a nonchalant sip of tea.  "What about him Cinderella?"

"I've seen the way he watches you Barrie.  I think he likes you."

Barrie laughed.  "That's old news Cinderella."

Cinderella picked up her cup and took another sip of tea.  "I think you two would make a great couple."

"Really." The hope in Barrie's voice was evident and made Cinderella smile.

"Really Barrie.  I've heard the way you talk about him and Beau thinks highly of him.  Why else would he bring him?"

"My parents wouldn't approve." 

Cinderella gave a dismissive flick of her hand at Barrie's sad tone.  "Look at me and Beau.  His father was so happy that Beau found someone.  I doubt your parents would be as happy, but you can make them accept you."

Barrie cocked her head and frowned at Cinderella.  "What do you mean?"

Cinderella poured more tea and dunked a biscuit in her tea which made Barrie giggled.  Even after all this time Cinderella still had traits that were classified as servantish.  "Beau and I have spent this path month talking.  I agree with him on training you and Arthur.  Your kingdom needs saved Barrie.  It's going to disappear if something isn't done."

Barrie sat back in her chair and smoothed a hand down her skirt.  "Are you willing to help me?"

Cinderella's brown eyes were warm as the sun and filled with kindness.  "I will help any way that I can.  If a servant covered in soot can marry a Prince, then why can't a blacksmith marry a Princess."

Barrie's smile was wide as she leaned forward and squeezed Cinderella's gloved hand.  "Thank you Cinderella."

Cinderella squeezed her hand back and gave her a big smile.  "You welcome Barrie."  Cinderella sat back and spoke briskly. "Let's finish our tea and get started.  If you are going to become a Warrior Princess you are going to need help.  When you are on campaign you won't have all of the comforts of home.  I can show you the ways that servants take care of personal matters and how we," Cinderella paused to smile.  "Made do with very little."

Barrie gulped her tea down and stood up.  "I'm ready to go know."

Cinderella laughed as she stood up.  She paused long enough to gulp down her tea and led Barrie out of the room.   Cinderella and Barrie headed up to Cinderella's room where Barrie would all the tricks servants learned on how to get by with very little.