Chapter 26

Barrie was feeling depressed.  Cinderella, Beau, and Fleur had left earlier in the day.  They had stayed for for several weeks before they headed back to the palace to show off Fleur as their child.  Grekken had done her best to cheer her, but it wasn't working. 

Barrie sat at the chair and gazed moodily out the window.  She missed her daughter and she missed Arthur.  A sigh escaped her body as she though about the past.  She refused to think about the future and how empty is appeared to her.  Her dark mood was interrupted as Claude joined her.  She looked up and blinked at him in surprise as he held out her sword.

"You cannot change the past my lady.  You can only work on changing the future.  Be the future that you want for your daughter.  Become the Warrior Queen for you people."

Barrie gave Claude a weak smile.  "Will it get any better Claude?"

Claude gave her a fatherly smile.  Something she rarely received from her own father.  "Time heals all wounds princess.  Some wounds heal faster than others.  Sitting around and moping won't help anything.  You'll only harm yourself.  Turn your energies to your lessons and drills.  Be someone that you daughter would be proud to claim as her mother."

Barrie looked out the window at the murky landscape.  She took a deep breath and let it out.  She shook herself and mentally girded herself.  Barrie winced as she stood up.  She had sat to long and was now stiff and sore.  Barrie reached over and took her sword from Claude.  Claude smiled and motioned for her to go before him.

Barrie walked across the room and let herself out the door.  The air was filled with moisture and the ground heavy with dew.  Fog rolled past them and Barrie took a deep cleansing breath.  She took up a position in the yard and faced Claude with her sword drawn.  Claude's sword was already drawn and once she faced him he lunged at her.  Barrie deflected his blow and did a counter attack as she went for his legs.

Barrie and Claude trained for several hours before Grekken called them in for something hot to eat.  Barrie was drenched in sweat and breathing hard.  Her heart felt lighter and her sadness was as deep.  Claude clapped her on the back as they walked back into the hunting lodge.

"You did good today Barrie."

Barrie gave him a tired smile tinged with hope.  "Thank you Claude."

Grekken served them hot stew and steaming mugs of cider.  Barrie sat back and listened to Claude and Grekken banter with each other.  She could feel the blossoming love that was developing between them.  It made Barrie happy to know that her mother, and closest friend, was finding love.  If her mother could find love then so could she.  She'd just have to be patient and wait for the right man to come along.  She had thought that Arthur was that man, but obviously she was wrong.  She'd be more careful next time she fell in love.  The next man to fall in love with her wouldn't fall in love with a spoiled princess.  He'd fall in love with a brave and determined Warrior Queen.