Chapter 43

Aditya's POV

   I was lying in bed staring at the ceiling. This had become the norm for me now. Waiting in bed...waiting for sleep to take over, but nothing really happening. However, tonight was a little different. Little Preet was purring by my side. She was sleeping on her back with her little paw touching my shoulder. Slowing trying my best not to disturb her I turned to my side. I carefully pet her little head. She opened her eyes and looked at me before she went back to sleep. Her purring got louder and she slowly inched closer to me. I smiled. At least she likes me. I moved closer and kissed her head. It must have startled her because she flinched and clawed my face. I sat up and felt my cheek. It stung as I felt something wet...blood. Preet was standing at the edge of my bed watching me. I sighed and pulled her into my lap. She bit my finger at first and then calmed down let go. I pet her as I held her trying my best to calm her down. I didn't know she was going to respond that way, and it's not her fault. Seems like whoever she belonged to before hadn't treated her well. I heard her purring again as I slowly placed her on the bed, and walked into the bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror. I took a damp cloth and cleaned the cut on my cheek. I dipped a cotton in rubbing alcohol and cleaned the wound. 

"Why do you love things that start out hating you?" I looked up in the mirror and saw Aditi standing behind me

"So you finally appear" I smiled at her 

"Well you told me not to come"

"Doesn't mean you just leave"

"Too bad"

"Hm" I turned around and she was still there sitting on top of the cabinet

"So why like things that hate you?"

"Cause they don't really hate me"

"Maybe they do and you are just in denial" She folded her arms and looked away

"In that case" I lifted her chin up with my index finger so she looked at me, "It's cause they are the only ones who see who I really am"

"Which is?"

"A man that only needs someone to stand by his side"

"Then why do you move when I stand next to you?"

"I stood by you, but you moved away"

"Did I really?" I blinked and she disappeared

        I slowly sat down on the floor with my head against the tub. She could have been here next to me. Maria is right something isn't right, but do I have the right to find out what it is anymore? I took the ring off her finger...but refuse to take mine off. I still consider her to be mine yet I told her to forget me. It's my fault she denied me. I guess she really was done with my indecisiveness. I should have just married her when I had the choice and now all I can do is sit here and regret it. Oh god how I wish she was still here. 

"I always am just a phone call away Adi" She rested her head on my shoulder

"I know" I rested my head on her head and closed my eyes

*________________________________*

"Aditya?" I opened my eyes and realized I had ended up falling asleep on the bathroom floor

"Hm?" I sat up and looked at George

"Why are you here?"

"I couldn't sleep and then fell asleep"

"Um...okay. Well it's time to go to college"

"Yeah. I will get ready in a few" 

          I quickly changed and got dressed for college. As I gathered my stuff I found Preet in my backpack and decided why not. I put her in my shirt pocket as walked out of the house. Maria got Preet a collar and it had my address and number on it. It felt nice to finally be able to put my name on a living thing and call it mine except I didn't really want that to happen with a cat, but instead with the person who truly was mine. George dropped me off, and I started my day. I paid attention in all my classes and even thought of ideas for all the projects that I had to be part of. However, the day was still not exciting enough for me to actually remember everything that I did. I sat playing with Preet on the floor of the library. Preet was being curious as she ran around. I kept an eye on her as she ran around. Just then she disappeared on me and I couldn't find her at all. I walked around whispering her name when I saw Natasha appear with Preet.