Connections

Rey's POV

   If there is something I hate its grocery shopping. Don't get me wrong I hate a lot of things, but grocery shopping is on the top. I woke up this morning, and mom sent me grocery shopping. After protesting for about an hour she decided to come with me. I pulled my hood over my head so it almost covered my eyes. I was in no mood to deal with people. Aditi left this morning to her vacation. Rude how she didn't even invite me. I smirked. As if she would have. Mom was looking at the produce carefully. If there was something she loved more than her family it was cooking for her sons. Father didn't eat at home much, but when he did he often complained about how she cooked well only for her sons. I smiled and watched her picking fruits. My mother is a slender tiny woman. She is as fragile as she looks. She moved on to the vegetables. She was wearing this pink, and white Anarkali dress with her dupatta to one side. Moving her hair behind her ear, she picked out some tomatoes with a smile across her face. I could see her lips moving as she was deciding what all she would cook. Probably thinking of all the excuses she can use to make me stay a few days longer. She turned to smile at me to make sure I hadn't wandered off and went back to her tomatoes. I rolled my eyes and put the milk cartons in my cart. When I looked up she was gone. For a second I felt myself panic. I moved forward, and saw her picking onions. I decided to stay by her side when I saw someone from the corner of my eye...I stopped when she turned to look at me. She stopped dead in her tracks trying not to make eye contact with me. Raj was with her. He smiled and pulled her towards me.

"Rey! Who knew you were actually normal?" Raj laughed, "Mom this is my friend, Rey"

"Is that what we are?" I chuckled

"Of course. Any friend of Aditi is my friend as well. Especially after how well you and Rocky took care of her after the incident"

"Well it's the least we can do since she has so many enemies" I glared at her as she squirmed nervously

"Rey, I finished with the produce. I hope you got everything..." Mom stopped as she looked at Sheila, "Sheila..."

"Monica..."

"Your younger son?" Mom smiled as she patted Raj on the shoulder

"You mean her only son" He smiled back

"Um..." I shook my head, "Sorry, I always feel like everyone has two sons" She laughed

"We should be going" Mom caught my hand

"How is...Rahul?"

"Mom" I smiled at Raj, "We should be going"

"He is good" Sheila finally spoke, "How are you?"

"Living" I glared, "We must be going"

"Rey, you okay?" Raj asked

"Mom" I grabbed her hand and pushed both the cart and her away 

"Nice meeting you!" Mom smiled and waved

*__________________________*

"Rey..." Mom touched my arm as I was driving

"Don't talk!" I kept my eyes on the road

"Raj seems like a good boy"

"He doesn't have much common with his parents"

"You haven't told him..."

"Aditya doesn't want Raj to know yet"

"When did you start listening to Aditya?" She laughed

"Ever since he helped me get Rocky back safely"

"...he did" I looked at her as her eyes teared up, "She was a beautiful child"