Being A Father

Karthik's POV

   Mothers are very important in a child's life they say, and it is true to a point. A mother understands every little thing about her child and tends to his needs best to her ability. She nurses her child in sickness and emotionally encourages the child to do better. She teaches the child the importance of love and the strength of love. She makes the child the person it will grow up to be one day. My Aditya never quite understood all of this. Every mother's day people would write letters thanking their mothers and apologizing for their mistakes with promises of being better children, and Aditya...he would sit there staring at the blank notebook page. He would take it for homework and stare at it some more. The next day I would get a call from the teacher as she would inquire as to why my brilliant son was incapable of completing this task. I always told him to write a letter to his grandma instead, but he said he didn't need to.

"Grandma knows I love her, and she has you, Aunt Payal and Uncle Karan...Mom doesn't have anyone"

"Write her a letter then"

"But how do I know she will read it?"

    I never had an answer for that one. For years I faked a letter for him just so the teacher wouldn't bother him...then one day I found them stashed in his closet underneath his brother's gift he had brought.

Dear Mom,
    I love you
Aditya

Dear Mom,
    I miss you and love you like the size of the Pacific Ocean
Aditya

Dear Mom,
    I'm sorry...I'm sorry I didn't write you any letter last year. Dad said I should write one, but I don't know if you can read it. Does God let you look down with a telescope so you can read my letter? Can you zoom? I want to make sure you can read it well so you know that I miss you. I have been a good boy too. I eat all my vegetables, take care of my dad, and I am a good student. Grandma says that you would have been proud...are you? How is baby brother? Has he grown up? Can he grow up in heaven? Dad said it wasn't my fault, but if it was I am sorry. I love you, Mom...

     He never showed anyone the letters, because he didn't want anyone to feel sorry for him. He would tell his cousins to hold their heads high because they were Kashaps. He was just 9, and still so mature for his age. He still smiled freely though. He was mature, but still a kid. He played with his friends, and family, and would wander off trying to find himself an adventure or a damsel to save. He was a superhero protecting everyone in the house...Then he came back from school one day and changed.

    He marched into the house and threw his backpack on the floor.

"Aditya! You don't throw your things like that baby" Mom said as she walked to him still wearing an apron, "What's the matter baby?"

"Where is dad?" He asked as tears filled his eyes

"Aditya?" I walked down the stairs confuses by this unseen rage of his, my son never threw a tantrum or shout for that matter

"You lied," He said quietly

"What?"

"YOU LIED!" He shouted as tears ran down his face

"Aditya" Mom tried to comfort him, but he moved away

"All of you did"

"What is going on?" Dad came out of his room

"You lied..." He stared at the ground, "It was my fault wasn't it"

"Aditya, what happened?" I moved towards him

"It was all my fault, and you all lied"

"Karthik" Mom looked at me

"I will take care of it Mom"