Chapter 4

Aditi's POV

    I was sitting on the kitchen countertop at Alisha's apartment. She was busy talking on the phone while I ate an apple. I thought about what Rey said. "It's because her life isn't all about the man. She has her own agenda, and if the man one day...let's say disappears her life doesn't stop". But my life hasn't stopped...has it? No of course not! I still do things that I love...

"So sorry, but the call was important" Alisha walked back into the kitchen

"I understand " I smiled at her

"So how have you been? I heard about that awful incident. So glad you recovered well" She smiled at me

"Alisha...can I ask a personal question?"

"Of course, you can ask me anything" She began mincing vegetables for the stew she was making for me

"How did you know exactly what you wanted to do with your life?"

"Hm?" She looked up at me a little confused

"As in when you got into college, did you know exactly what you wanted from life?"

"Well...no. I joined a business college thinking that was the route I wanted to go, but along the way I realized...cooking was something I loved doing, and I was very good at it. So I dropped out of college to follow my heart" She smiled, "You having problems with your decision?"

"It's...just...there seems to be nothing I am good at or enjoy expect getting in all sorts of trouble. Lately recently even that doesn't seem like something I want to do. It's...it's like I have no motivation for life." I sighed

"Oh dear. Now that is a problem" She threw the vegetables in a pot to cook and added the broth, "Now tell me how long have you felt this way?"

"...since college ended"

"Since Aditya left?"

"..." I looked at the floor

"Okay. How about when you were in college before you got involved with Aditya? Why did you join?"

"When I was a kid, Dada ji said that as the oldest the company would be my responsibility. Since then I always wanted to join the family business. It was the only time someone thought I could handle the responsibility. Then I graduated from high school, and no one had any hope for me. I was lost again, but then Aditya encouraged me to keep up with that dream no matter what anyone said. He said if I wanted I could do anything as long as I wanted to do it. Now without him it all feels...dull and mundane..."

"He was right. If you want it you go for it. It's what makes you you" She patted my shoulder

"But I don't know anymore..."

"Give it sometime sweetheart. It will come to you then. Just wait it out a little. Plus with all that has happened cut yourself some slack"

"...If you say so" I smiled weakly back at her

"Now didn't you come over for just stew or did you need something else?"

"Well... actually I just wanted to see you"

"Aw really?!" She hugged me, and we walked to the living room, "No other reason"

"Well Mom used to tell when I was a kid that I had a Godmother...was it you?"

"...yes. Your mother and I used to best friends once. Of course Priya was part of our circle too. However, for obvious reasons Preity and I got along better"