Chapter Ten

• Dedicated to The guys in the world that can be gentlemen like Uryu

It was lunchtime, and I had my bento (thankfully made by Yuzu, not Isshin) in hand by the door to the courtyard, waiting for Tara and Babs. God, they were so SLOW!!!

I looked to my left, and there was that pervert from this morning, he and his friends seeming to grope me with their eyes. I shifted uncomfortably. I need to find somewhere to sit before they came over here! Quick!

I looked around. I’d already told Keigo that I’d eat with them another day, ‘cuz I needed to wait for my friends. So that was a bust. And I didn’t recognize anyone else here, until, Bing! There was my answer!

I walked over to a tree and peeked over the side to see a boy with raven hair, glasses, and a quiet demeanor. The one and only, Uryu Ishida.

I cleared my throat, and he looked up at me, a bit surprised that anyone was calling for him.

I smiled shyly. “Sorry,” I said. “I’m waiting on my friends to come outside, and those idiots are, like, raping me with their eyes. Is it okay if I just sit here with you until they come out? Sorry if it inconveniences you, I can lea--”

“No,” Uryu said. “It’s okay. Anything for a gentle lady.”

“Well,” I chuckled, “I’m anything but gentle, but I’ll act it if you trade me one of those crab-ball things in exchange for a California Roll.”

He examined me, a strange, confused expression adorning his face. Then he looked down to my lunch. After assessing for a moment, he grabbed one of the crab-things and handed it to me. I grinned and grabbed it with my chopsticks before handing him his promised Roll.

“Hey!” someone said. Uryu and I both turned, only to see that idiot from my class coming up to us, a couple of his goons trailing him like baby ducks.

Uryu sighed, closing his eyes and shaking his head, pinching the top of his nose. “What do you want, Tsuyoshi?”

Tsuyoshi? Aww, what a cute name! But why for such and ugly duckling?

And trust me, no one was turning into a swan anytime soon.

He grunted. “Shut up, loser. I wanna talk to Bitchy here.”

My temper flared. I stood up to meet him vis-à-vis. “Okay, he is not a loser,” I said, poking Tsuyoshi’s chest angrily. “And my name is not Bitchy, you bastard.”

His eyes opened wide. “I’m no bastard!”

“Really?” I said. “I think Hisae would disagree.”

He looked at me in shock, paralyzed. “H-h…how the HELL did you know that?! No one else in the entire school knows about Hisae! And you’re a fucking new kid! Who told you about her?!”

I just shrugged. “I have my sources.” I crossed my arms and huffed, annoyed; this was a waste of my time. I shifted my weight to my right foot, as something to do.

“Like who?” he yelled, his eyes shifting around the yard nervously. “I…I’ll kick their ass!”

My face scrunched. “Um,” I said. “That’ll be kinda hard.”

“Why?”

“You’ll have a bit of trouble touching Amaterasu and Chibiterasu, much less kicking their asses.”

He sent me a look of utter horror. “No way! You’re a freak! A Satanist freak!” The mother duck and her ducklings scurried away in fear.

I laughed. “Idiots,” I said. “I wouldn’t even be a Satanist if I believed in them! I can’t believe they actually bought that!”

Uryu looked at me strangely, but I didn’t notice until I eventually calmed down.