51. Comfort

"He didn't deserve her. And to be honest, if he couldn't take care of her and treat her like she deserved, I would."

Ryan's POV

"At least I'm not being an fucking ungrateful cunt! If you can't handle my life why don't you just leave!?" Justin yells back at Kiera, pushing her backwards with force.

Seeing a look of shock come over Kiera's face she just steps back like she had been slapped and drops her hand from his chest.

"Fine. Maybe I will." She says defiantly, meeting his gaze squarely, no doubt the anger blazing in her eyes. She really was amazing like that. A fire cracker, as equally brilliant, powerful and amazing. She could leave you speechless in her wake, falling all over youself just to be with her and have you walking over water for her. Believe me; I would know. It was hard to resist doing anything she asked, mate or not. She was easy to love. Even knowing Justin's true nature and seeing the damage and hurt he could inflict when he was out of control, she dared to challenge him and in doing that, well at least most of the time, she kept him grounded and sane. She was the light he so desperately needed in his life. She was his life now.

But at that point, Justin completely and utterly lost it, lunging at Kiera aggressively before Chaz or I could even blink.

"Justin! No!" I yell, flashing in front of Kiera, his body colliding hard with mine, as I think of nothing else but protecting her from danger, no matter who it was, just as I was asked.

"Get out of my fucking way Ryan. She's mine. Don't touch her. Do you understand? Mine. Not yours. She is mine. All. Mine." He hisses at me, his lips curling to let a feral growl out as he grips my neck, pinning me down.

"Justin you're not thinking! Think! This isn't you." I urge, struggling to get his grip off my neck. His vampire side was completely out of control and irrational right now. I doubt he even fully knew what he was doing. He was simply reacting on instinct, viewing me as a threat to his territory, a threat to what was rightfully his. And knowing that side of a vampire, he would eliminate the threat, no matter the cost, best friend or not. Not only that but Justin had been number one back in his Guard days. The only person Chaz and I couldn't counter. He was stronger, fast, smarter and absolutely lethal.

"Justin. Stop. Please. You're hurting him. Please. Ryan was protecting me." Kiera begs, from where she stands behind Chaz. His form tensed, ready and alert, guarding her just as he should.

"You. Are. Mine. Kiera. Mine. No one elses. I don't fucking share my mate." Justin snarls again, his grip not lessening as he stares at her, his eyes still a dangerous black. I had to wait for my moment, the moment he was distracted.

"Let. Ryan. Go. Now." She commands firmly, starring him down.

Seeing his eyes flash dangerously again, before I know it his body weight is off of mine, giving me no reaction time and he's set his eyes on his new target. Kiera.

"Chaz watch out!" I yell, just as Justin lunges at Chaz, toppling him over to get to Kiera, pinning her against the wall aggressively.

"You're not leaving me Kiera. Ever. If I can't have you then no one can." He purrs dangerously to her.