"i wish that i could wake up with amnesia" TW

okay but can we talk abt this hella problematic five sauce song? i love 5sos minus ashton butttt fr?

"i wish that i could wake up with amnesia" - actually, no you don't. i know people who actually suffer from minor to severe amnesia and they can't remember half of their life. you don't want to fucking wake up with amnesia. amnesia is part of a mental illness anyways- dissociative amnesia is a 'symptom' of dissociative disorders, which become from experiencing traumatic events(i'm talking r*pe, getting shot, etc.) amnesia "helps" the trauma survivor w/ a developed trauma disorder clear out memories from the traumatic events- it goes beyond minor amnesia. breaking up with your girlfriend while makeup was running down her face isn't trauma... sorry ://. anyways, as i was saying - it goes beyond minor amnesia, meaning you can remember the event but it's buried in your head, and you only remember it when being triggered, which is exactly the reason why 5sos probably should not have put this second lyric in their song.

"and forget about the stupid little things" - alright, i'm gonna admit it- i still use ableist terms like the word stupid. rarely actually, i only ever say dumb or dumb ass. but the fact that this whole song is based on wanting to wake up with amnesia and then the next line has an ableist slur is pretty gosh darn ignorant and problematic.

i wish people would understand that amnesia isn't just something funny like in that spongebob episode, it's serious. and you guys probably already know that it pisses me off when people take mental illnesses to try and come off as poetic. don't even stan this- this is a song about amnesia... songs are forms of poetry... meaning that 5SOS is glamorizing mental illness...

sorry that your girl couldn't put up with your ableist bullshit lol, but don't write a song about "wanting to wake up with amnesia" because of her (probably a non-existent girl anyways). okay bye!

]#zuzaf