• 43 •

Ashton didn't mention a word about what just happened. All he did was drive. He had told me previously that he didn't want to get inbetween Luke and I, or seem like that jealous 'used to be kind of dating' guy. He didn't want that because that wasn't what he was; Ashton and I were close friends, very close. I didn't have to impress him as much as I did Luke, which was why he was coming with me. I would have been amazing to have Luke there to make me smile if I was scared but Lisa was there, she would definitely have something to say to me about being in rehab; I couldn't have Luke there for that. Was that such a bad thing?

Kaela was waiting outside the door, her face covered in remorse. I jumped out of the car when it slowed down, not waiting for Ashton to fully stop. I heard the curly haired boy shout at me but I didn't listen.

"What happened?" It had been almost an hour since the phone call, anything could have happened. I was hating myself for going on a date so far away. I should've refused, just for tonight so I could've been here when something happened. I was selfish and I hated it.

"Come inside," she replied. That was it? That was all I got? Come inside. I didn't want to go back into that awful place, the atmosphere reeked of death.

"Kaela, I just want to know what happened," I told her. She nodded her head.

"The doctors can explain it a lot better than I can. Plus, they won't let me see them because I'm not technically family." I watched her as she spat the last words out, offended that she hadn't been considered family. I knew how she felt and I too was annoyed that she couldn't inform me, rather than the small nurses and tall doctors.

I ran to the front desk and the same woman I saw the other day was sat there, her smile still plastered onto her face, until she saw me.

"Which parent's condition has changed?" I asked her.

"Your father, your mother is in there with him, in room 256." I didn't bother thanking her before running off, I knew it was rude but I didn't like how happy she was in a hospital, it wasn't natural. I heard two pairs of footsteps running in time with my own; step by step we got closer to their door.

245.

250.

256. I stopped in front of the door. For me, it was like a forbidden doorway. I knew I shouldn't go in there but I wanted to. My hand froze on the handle, not moving it an inch.

"Hol-" Kaela started, I heard Ashton stop her from asking me questions as I gulped and slowly pressed the door handle down and leaning on it so it swung open.

Lisa was crouched down next to Steven, who's limbs were spread as far as they could on the single bed. Lisa's gaze snapped straight to me, it was the first time I had seen her move with any kind of urgency, the first time I had seen her sober, in a long time. I walked over to the bed, leaving the door open so Kaela and Ashton would follow, I felt safer with them by my side.

"Where the hell have you been? We've been waiting for you for an hour now, is you dad not important anymore?" My mother screamed at me. I wanted to lunge forward and hit her but I refrained, I knew it wouldn't go down well in here.

"I got here as fast as I could, I was on a date on Miami Beach. I waited here all night for you, I deserved a break! How the hell was I meant to know this was going to happen. I got here as fast as I could." Her face turned back to my father.

"Is that your date in the corner?" she hissed.

"No." I shot her down at the roots. I knew where this was going. First she complained but now she wasn't telling me what had happened.

"I was going to say, he's a bit too good for you don't you think?" she laughed. I saw both of my friends tense behind me, not knowing exactly what to say or to do.