Chapter 13

____Adannaya

Before I got home I stopped by Baby's house to pick up Lady. I asked him to go with me because I was to scared to go home alone. I also asked Melanie to wait outside until I go there. I'm better off having them in the house instead of being alone.

He was never known to do anything when people were around. But he might have change in the past year though. He might be crazier now. I picked up Lady's sleeping body out of the car seat. Baby grabbed her duck and bag.

"Thanks Baby." I adjusted Lady on my hip so I could unlock the door. Baby trailed behind me with Melanie. I waked into my room and. I laid lady on my  bed so I could grab our things. "Hey come in here." I called for Melanie and Baby.

They sat on the bed silent for a second. "So are you going to tell me what happened?" Melanie spoke up. I sighed and took deep breaths before speaking. I pulled out my suitcase set and placed it on my chair.

"Well long story short...I think Lady seen him. In other words he might know where we are." I opened up my drawers and started throwing things in the bag. I didn't even bother folding them I don't have time for that.

"Are you fucking kidding me!" Melanie ran her hands down her face tugging on the skin. "Please tell me your joking?" She looked at me with disbelief written over her face.

"If I was joking would I be asking to stay with you." I slightly yelled. Her and Baby's eyes widened. I sighed and continued throwing stuff in the bag. "Sorry I didn't mean to yell." I spoke low, but they were still able to hear me.

"Girl what are you going to do if he shows his face?" Baby questioned. I shrugged my shoulders and zipped up the first bag. I went into Lady's for and threw her stuff in another bag. I also grabbed our hair supplies too.

"I have no idea yet. I haven't even put that thought in my head." I walked back into my room.

"How do you know he's around  anyway?" Melanie spoke up. My phone started vibrating in my back pocket. I looked at the number and it was private.

"Its a private number." I looked at my phone again to make sure I wasn't tripping.

"Answer that shit!" Melanie stood up from the bed her hands placed on her hips. I hesitated then slid the icon over. "Hello?" Heavy breathing came through the phone.

"On the days your not home, I'm there. The days where you feel exhausted and tired, I'm there. When you feel like quitting that damn whack job of yours, I'm there. On May 13 I will be there!" The heavy voice echoed through the phone followed by a laugh. A concerned look plastered on me and Baby's face.

"Listen here you piece of shit!" Melanie snatched the phone out of my hand. "If you get anywhere near her I will kill your ass myself! With no hesitation about it." I stood beside Baby and watched Melanie curse the man on the other line out.

"Isn't that cute. Your fighting her battles AGAIN!" His voice came through the phone. I felt a sudden rage come through me. His voice sounded so familiar. I already have an idea who the punk was on the other line.

"I already know who you are. No need in hiding yourself anymore!" I took the phone out of Melanie's hands.

"Somebody's grew a pair in the last year." His hearty laugh filled the room. "But don't get too wild on me."

"Don't you ever show your face around here! You sick son of a bitch!" Melanie's face was pure red and a vein popped out her forehead. I've seen her mad, but not this mad.

"My dear cousin Melanie... you will see me. May 13 don't forget!" At the end of that sentence he hung up. Me, Melanie, and Baby all stared at each other. I was beyond pissed at this point. Melanie started pacing back and forth around the room. She mumbled unknown words to herself.

I started thinking of all the bad things that could happen. Including him coming after Lady. I looked over at my daughter curled up in a ball on my bed. All the blood drain from my face leaving it cold to the touch. The salty liquid that I hated for my eyes to produce began to flow.

A river poured from my eyes. I can't tell if these are tears of anger or fear. I'm so lost at the moment. I don't know if I should run, or stay. Either way it goes weather if I stay or go he will be here May 13.

 Melanie and Baby's weight sunk in the bed. They embraced me in a warm hug. "Don't worry too much about this whole thing. You've kicked his ass once you can do it again, and again, and again. Until you have no more strength to fight girl." Baby cracked a laugh making me smile a little too.

Gosh I remember that night like it was yesterday. The scariest night of my life but it was all worth it. "Come on lets go it's getting late." Melanie stood up from the bed. She grabbed one of my bags. "Baby you coming too?"

"Girl I didn't think you were going to ask." He jumped off the bed and I followed behind him. I lifted Lady off the bed. She wrapped her arms around my neck and laid her face in the crook of my neck.

"Why would I need to ask? You bring your ass over any other time." She scoffed and walked out the room. I picked up Lady's clothes and trailed behind.

"Oh, hey Baby can you get her toy box out her room?" He nodded his head and went to the back. I checked everything off in my head making sure I had everything. We waited outside the door for Baby. "Hurry up slow ass!"

"This shit is heavy dammit give me a second!" I watched him lift the box up in comfortable position. He stepped out the apartment and I locked the door behind him. I continued to rub the small of Lady's back while we made our way to our cars. Melanie placed a bag in my trunk, Baby placed the box in the backseat, while I buckled Lady in.

"I'm going to stop and get some snacks. I'll meet you there." Baby spoke while shutting my door. I nodded my head. I hopped in my car and took a deep breath before starting the engine and pulling off.

______