Chapter 2

________Adannaya

I drove down the street, and stopped at the on coming red light. Lady sat in the backseat silent. Her head was laid back on her car seat. Car rides always put her to sleep. Me and my ex use to ride her around at night, so she would sleep. The light turned green, and I sped off down the street. My phone vibrated against my thigh.

"New message from-Melanie." The driver's app echoed through the car speakers. "Would you like to read it, or ignore?"

"Read it." I turned and pulled into the daycare parking lot. The phone connected and read...

"Hurry up and get here. I have important news."

She's always rushing somebody. Melanie is the definition of a smart ass. She's one of my high school friends, and my exes cousin. We became close when I was accused of cheating. Melanie backed me up. Even though she barely knew me. My ex was always accusing me of something. Only because he was doing the exact same thing. We all knew how he acted. After years of dating I was convinced to leave his ass. We had a lot of beef going on at the time. After that I moved in with Melanie for about a year and we became friends.

I hopped out the driver's side of the car. I fixed my shirt, pulling it down. Opening the backseat door I unbuckled Lady. She was sound asleep. She's a heavy sleeper and it's scary at times. If you were to drop something heavy she wouldn't move.

I sat her on my hip and picked up her duck. I was was going to have to make two trips so she could have her ducky bag- her words not mine-. Ms. Larson stood in the doorway waiting to get Lady. Ms. Larson has been watching her for about a year now. She owns a daycare for college students with children. And she's open till the last child leaves. All this is done out of her own home, and she doesn't charge much.

Ms. Larson is around my height maybe taller. I won't say shes fat, but she is a big woman. I think she's around 48 and bright skinned. A very nice lady. Until you piss her off. When Ms. Larson is mad it's like a mixture of a hurricane and earthquake. Not good at all.

"Aww give me my baby." She reached out for Lady. She placed her in her arms and pulled me in for a hug.

"Morning Ms. Larson." I gave her a side hug.

"Good morning baby." She placed a kiss on my forehead. "You doing okay."

I nodded. "Yea." I bit my lip and put my head down. Pretending to look at my shoes.

Ms. Larson rocked Lady in her arms. "So when was the last time you seen-"

"Um..." I interupted her. "I have to get har bag." I pointed at my car. I jogged down the ramp to my car. Lady's bag sat in the backseat in the floor. I picked it up and carried it to Ms. Larson.

"I should be back around six." She grabbed the bag from me. I tugged at my pants to pull them up.

"Alright sweetheart. Just call when your on your way."

"I will." I placed a kiss in Lady's head, and waved bye to Ms. Larson. I got in the car and sped down the street. My phone vibrated again. Causing me to jump. This time it was a call. I slid the icon over not paying attention to the caller.

"Where the fuck are you?!" The voice echoed through the car speakers. I shook my head and pulled into a driveway.

"Look outside stupid." I responded to the question. A head peeped out the blinds of the apartment window. My phone hung up. I bet you can guess who that was. A short white girl walked out the front door. She reached my car and leaped in. "It's about time you got here. You have to be the slowest person ever." She rolled 'slowest' off her tongue.