(25)

You guyssss! Check out tyw23456's one-shot entry! I haven't read it yet, but I'm happy someone submitted! Remember: it's almost August 7th! And if I get 5 submissions, I'll post THREE NEW chapters at once!

Juliette:

I dreamed of Paris Anderson. A gunshot. The blood. A father. The worst. "Daddy Issues" as Kenji would say. I guess we all had them.

And then I dreamed about Kenji. His beautiful laugh, his attempt at jokes, his gorgeous children. Kassandra.

Juliette? Juliette do you hear me?

Kassandra?! I mentally screamed.

Jesus Julie. Don't talk that loud!

How are you inside my brain?

You have your powers I have mine.

Does Kenji know?

Why should I tell him? I've been sending him the funniest messages while he sleeps. Anyways, I'm sleeping, but when Seb wakes up, I'll wake up, causing the connection to break.

Okay.

Where are you? Do you know?

No. But it isn't government funded.

Okay. And how do I convince for Aaron to let us all go after you with him?

No don't! I need to figure out how to--

I woke up to a swinging sound.

They finally opened the door to the room I was being kept in. More sunlight then I'd seen in days flooded the room and black and white dots dance behind my eyelids. Apparently, I'd been sleeping in a pink and white bed, clearly meant for a little girl. A desk was in the left corner, on the opposite of the tree-shaded window. That desk is probably what had been hitting my thigh! No wonder I had giant purple bruises along my leg!

"Mrs. X wishes to see you," a low voice from the doorway said. I've heard weird things in life, but a variable as name? Peculiar... I turned around to find a man in a black jumpsuit. He was in his mid-thirties, with a black buzzcut hairstyle, and a shining gold band on his finger. He looked foreign, maybe Russian. I wonder if they were under the Reestablishment too...

I followed the man out the door, slowly to annoy him. Unlike other captors, he didn't seem too cautious about me. Frankly, it looked like he didn't even care.

We were walking through medium gray hallways that only contained us, not a single person was in sight. What type of organization is this? I had thought.

My initial prediction was correct, I was being held in an actual house. As I walked through, I peeked into open doors that had bright bedrooms with open windows. Some even had kitchens. That's unfair, I thought.

"Watch your step," the man said. I stared at his black military suit as I followed him through a body-sized hole in the wall. I lifted my knees to climb though, before stopping in my tracks.

A home was remodeled to look like a giant weapons room base. Different snipers, AMT's, Ballesters, and Brownings were strapped to the walls. I marveled at their abundance of supplies even when they obviously weren't funded by a powerful establishment.

I stood on my toes to look around, but the huge crowds blocked my view. Sounds of men talking, heels clacking, and laughter mixed in. It was absolute music to my ears, and soon, with Aaron's help, everyone would be like this. I still didn't know for sure why I was here. To brag maybe?

That is, if I made it out. "Excuse me," I tapped the soldier on his shoulder. He looked at me and blinked. "Mrs. X?" I asked.

He nodded before staring straight again. Thanks?

I waited for 10 more minutes before the people started to disperse and the room became quieter. The only thing I could hear was a different clacking of heels. From a corner room entered a women in her mid-fifties, her blond hair pulled into a tight bun. Gray strands of hair were falling out, but she was too preoccupied staring at me to brush them back.

"Mrs. X?" I asked.

"Mrs. Ferrars," she stated. I wasn't going to bother to correct her, I was too suspicious. She looked at me, studied me, before she made a decision. "Do you know why you're here?"

Her question actually surprised me. "To torture me for information? To kill me?" I gave it a guess. I thought about this already, I wasn't that scared anymore. I was going to get out.

"No, dear!" The women shook her head. "Oh no, we want to do that to your--" she stopped and looked at the soldier. "Marital status?"

"Married to Aaron Anderson Warner."

"Excuse me, Mrs. Warner. We don't want to torture you." Relief did not flood through my blood as it usually did. What's the catch? "We simply wish to torture and kill your husband."

"What?" I spit out. Unwanted images of Aaron on the floor, writhing in pain, filled my mind. Three bullet wounds in his chest. Blood pouring out of a hole in the middle of his brain. Get them out get them out!

"You see, he was the one who ended Paris Anderson."

"I don't understand. Were you guys some 'all hail Paris group'?"

She sighed. "No. We wanted to-- Look." I blinked. "This," she gestured to the room, "is how we planned on assassinating the Supreme. Then he came along and did the job." Oh boy, they don't know it was me. They think it was him! I don't really know what to say.

"So... he did it before you?" I decided to play along.

"Exactly! There were so many we hired, so many we inspired, so many we disappointed... Just because of him. So, our new target is Aaron Warner."

My heart stopped. My world spun. "And he'll only live under one condition."

What is it What is it What is it What is it What is it What is it What is it

"You both have to give up your position as the new leader."

Qotc

How many of you read The Selection?