(23)

Juliette

Nothing

Nothing

Nothing

That's what I say to those people. That's what I know about my surroundings. That's what I know about my powers not working.

I don't care about the first two things. The third is what I do care about. I'm petrified, because my only advantage was taken away.

The room looks a lot like the one at the asylum. It has gray walls, is pretty claustrophobic, and only has one window. The window lies in the shade of an enormous tree, so it's always dark. I stopped caring about what laid outside, these people were pretty smart to put me here.

I am not completely clueless, though. I managed to figure out this organization is not funded by the government. I could swear I'm being kept in an apartment. I just have no clue where. I thought about it some more and begged myself not to think about the family that I have.

Oh Aaron. They may have taken me to see me break down, but they will not see me cry. I'll stay strong and hope that my reaction will confuse them.

I'll write some more later, journal. I'm glad I managed to snatch you. And when I get out of here --I WILL-- I'll give you to Aaron.

Aaron

I've lost it. I've lost her. Again. When I promised I would never. I left Kassandra, Kenji, Rose, Jace, Sebastian, and Tiffany in the kitchen, making the pathetic excuse of needing to use the restroom. When I got to the guest room, I slid down on the wall and grabbed my head in my hands. The tears finally came.

I felt utter sadness, but mostly, I felt

Juliette

Lost. When I was in the asylum, at least I knew where I was. I knew for sure why I was being held. They thought I was insane. There are too many reasons why I could be held here. Could. 1. I'm the leader of the New Beginning. 2. They want to use my powers to benefit them. 3. They want to hurt someone through me. 4. I might not even be the person they wanted to catch in the first place. They want to torture someone, like Aaron, by using me.

Today is my last day, they tell me, before I will finally meet my captors. I would preferably just stay in the cell. I would preferably be back home with my children in my arms and Aaron wrapped around me. Preferably, it's a funny word.

Preferably. Preferably. Preferably. Preferably. Preferably. Preferably. Preferably. Preferably. It's funny how someone would invent a word like that; something one wants for themselves. A preference to the way they want something, when it isn't even their decision.

How

Aaron

Selfish. Selfish of me to want Juliette back and only her. I don't care about the soldiers. I just want her back, and I know that's only possible by being what I usually am. Composed and prepared. I will find her and I will destroy whoever took her.

IGNITE. I dare you to make me mad and then you'll see my wrath. I stood up from the wall, went into the bathroom, and flushed the toilet. I waited for 10 seconds before exiting the room and entering the kitchen. All of them sat around the dining table, waiting for me to sit down.

I genuinely smiled that I had a good team behind me for this sudden kidnap. And that they actually cared for Julie's well-being. "Thank you for waiting for me. The dinner looks wonderful."

Kenji looked around the table at Kassandra. "I know they say that one trip can change someones life. But a trip to the bathroom?" I laughed, for real.

Kassandra smiled and we all dug in. The children had mac and cheese while we had our own version of it. We had a cheesy pasta that had lumps of pork in it. I drank water while Kassandra gulped down glasses of wine. I understood, Juliette was doing it too when she just finished her pregnancy.

"Oh, Kenji, that was sooo good." Kassandra said, giggling for absolutely no reason. Kenji and I shared a look.

"Who wants to eat ice cream for dessert?" Kenji asked the children. Surprisingly, Sebastian gurgled in happiness. 

"I'll get it." I stood up and led the children into the kitchen. I held Sebastian over my shoulder, holding his neck, as he played with my shirt collar. He even tried to bite the clothing, which I let him. I waited for 20 more seconds before coming back out into the dining room. Kenji and Kassandra were gone, though I think I heard some whining from Kass. 

"Oh, Kenji! You're no fun!" I heard from upstairs. 

"What? I'm so fun! You're no fun when you're like this!" I heard something crash and a string of cuss words came from Kenji's mouth. It took 3 minutes (we were already done with our meal) and then Kenji came back from upstairs with no Kassandra. He walked up to me and took Sebastian, who was slowly falling asleep. 

"Right about time, buddy," Kenji whispered. I looked outside for a brief moment, it was dark out, but lights from new buildings shined brightly in the night. He held Seb in his arms and had Tiffany climb onto his back, her eyes slowly drooping. He led them into their room, I assumed, as I took Rose and Jace into the downstairs guest room. 

"Daddy, are we sleeping with you?" Rose asked. 

"Yes, darling you are." I held their hands as we walked to the bed. I didn't bother changing myself or them, my usual schedule completely messed up. 

"Good." She looked up at me and rubbed her eyes. I brushed her blonde hair out of the way and kissed her forehead. She looked a lot like Juliette. 

And then I did the same to Jace, who looked a lot like my father. His brunette hair was in his eyes as I kissed his head. We slipped under the covers and I laid on my back. Rose slept on my left and Jace slept on my right. I stared at the ceiling until sleep took over me, but before I did, I whispered my favorite passage from Juliette's journal. 

"These letters are all I have left.

26 friends to tell my stories to.

26 letters are all I need. I can stitch them together to create oceans and ecosystems. I can fit them together to form planets and solar systems. I can use letters to construct skyscrapers and metropolitan cities populated by people, places, things, and ideas that are more real to me than these 4 walls.

I need nothing but letters to live. Without them I would not exist.

Because these words I write down are the only proof I have that I'm still alive."

So proud of this chapter. You have no clue. How many of you recognize the finishing-each-others-thoughts style (at the beginning) from the Mara Dyer series?

Qotc

Why do you think there are chapters in any book? Why isn't it just one book with constant pages?