(6)

KENJI:

The Reestablishment took over our society long ago, so the people were still becoming accustomed to living a life where their children went to an actual school, got jobs without a soldier looking down upon them, or even went grocery shopping without someone checking their I.D.

I liked it a lot. We were now the free country we used to be. And I thought the people liked it too because it was only three days since Juliette and I found Paris Anderson and shot him. Since then, there was no internal rebellion.

I was especially proud that some people picked up their lives from before The Reestablishment even came. I wasn't born yet, but some people, just around the corner from this base, had a family run restaurant which supposedly had amazing Italian food. They were opening up tonight and being funded by Warner (I may or may not have won a bet which resulted in him having to pay for their re-opening). They were a "cafe by day and restaurant by night" type of place.

That was where I was taking Kassandra that night. I was going to meet her outside her room at 8:00. I was excited to see her dress up for the date and happy to talk to her again. I didn't have to be all "funny Kenji" with her, she laughed no matter what. I really thought that night would be the night to remember. And it was.

The day sped quickly until it was 7:50. I waited five minutes looking in the mirror and checking my outfit. I wore a black suit with a long-sleeve dark blue button down shirt under. I finished tying a black bow tie around my neck. I was ready.

I walked out and knocked on Kassandra's door. When she opened it, my breath caught. She wore a purple gown that flowed to the floor, complementing her brunette hair that was partially clipped back with parts that fanned around her shoulders. Her neck had a small silver pendant hanging from it. I looked down even more, her dress complemented her curves, but it didn't do anything more then her usual outfits did.

"Kenj, you look amazing," she said. She reached up to my bow tie and straightened it. After that, she closed the door behind her and stood next to me in the hallway.

"Kass, you look stunning," I replied. I kissed her cheek and whispered in her ear, "By the way, love the new nickname."

"Thank you, no one's ever called me 'Kass' before either," she told me.

I held out my hand to her before saying, "Let's head out to dinner, shall we?"

She slipped her hand into my elbow, "We shall."

She looked down as we reached the elevator and I looked at her. How was I supposed to resist? An aching in my heart told me that I never wanted a man to look at her the way I did that night. The thought surprised me, but I shook it off. Tonight was to celebrate the overpowering of The Reestablishment.

@@@@@@@

Dinner:

She laughed so hard at some point she began crying. She picked up her napkin and wiped her cheeks. Then, after each time she laughed, she would pick up her champagne or wine. I knew I went a little "all out" with the alcohol but it was okay, because we were enjoying ourselves.

"So... Truth... or Truth?" She asked, a mysterious glint in her eye. I looked around at the restaurant and pretended to think. I stared up at the tall ceilings that had these thick and leafy vines growing up on them. The room was themed as an indoor rainforest, meant to make it seem more tropical and romantic.

I looked back at her, "Uh... Truth," I decided.

"Okay, are you a virgin?" She asked, her smile turning into a serious expression.

"Yes... You?" I asked her back.

"You never asked me! I could've picked truth!" She laughed. We both grabbed our champagne.

"Okay, Kass. Truth or truth?"

"Ooh! Truth!" She grinned.

"Are you a virgin?" I fake whispered so she could hear me.

"Yes." She smiled. I felt something run down my calf, her foot. It was comfortable and it stayed there. I don't think she noticed, though. She probably thought I was the table leg.

The waiter came without the check and I asked him where it was. He simply said it was complements from Mr. and Mrs. Warner. I smiled back and nodded. I stood up, feeling woozy at first, and then I walked to Kass' seat and pulled out her chair for her. She stood up and fell forward on my chest. I held her by the elbows.

"I think I'm drunk," She half hiccuped and laughed.

"Me too," I whispered in her ear.

We walked out of the restaurant, her tripping over everything in her heels and me trying to catch her. When we got to the base, the soldiers stared at us and let us in, some helping me bring Kass to the elevator and then going back to keep watch.

When we got there, I pressed floor number two. I held her by the waist as she leaned onto my shoulder. When we walked out I felt that woozy feeling in my head once again. I had to hold onto the walls to keep from falling.

We passed my room and then stood in front of hers.

"Thank You-" hiccup, "For a wonderful-" hiccup,"Night, Kenj!" She said still smiling and leaning over to me. I smelled her breath which reeked of champagne and wine. She moved even closer and I did too.

Our lips collided faster then she thought they would, so she gasped and then hiccuped against my mouth.