Chapter 63

When the Levee Breaks

Morning came and Sam was still screaming for help from the basement. 

I moved to stand in front of Dean as he leaned against the doorframe. "Hey, baby, why don't you go out for a little while." I suggested, running my hands up and down his arms. 

"No, I'm...I'm fine." 

"Correct me if I'm wrong but you willingly signed up to be the angels' bitch?" Bobby asked. 

Dean had just finished explaining how--like I said--he had thrown himself to the wolves once again. 

Dean gave Bobby a look.

"I'm sorry." Bobby rolled his eyes. "You prefer 'sucker'? After everything you said about them, now you trust them?" 

"Come on, give me a little credit, Bobby." Dean pushed away from the doorframe, moving toward him. "I've never trusted them less. I mean, they come on like shady politicians from planet Vulcan." 

"Well, then why in the hell--?"

"Because what other option do I have?" Dean snapped. "It's either trust the angels or let Sammy trust a demon?"

"I see your point."

"Okay, well, now that we've had our daily yelling match, let's all just calm down." I suggested. 

"You hear that?" Dean asked.

It was silent.

"Yeah, that's a little too much nothing." Bobby agreed. 

I placed Wyatt down on the couch next to Millie and Evie before following Dean and Bobby down to the basement.

When we reached the panic room door, Sam was lying on the floor, gasping and writhing.

"What if he's faking?" Dean asked.

"You really think he would?" Bobby asked. 

"I think he'd do anything."

Suddenly, Sam slid across the floor and was slammed into the wall.

"That ain't faking." Bobby stated.

"Clearly." I muttered as Dean pulled the door open. 

Dean and Bobby grabbed Sam's arms, wrestling him down onto the cot in the middle of the room. Bobby pulled off his belt, placing it between Sam's teeth. 

Grabbing a rope from the drawer of the desk, I knelt by the bed.

"We're gonna have to tie him down for his own safety." Bobby said.

"Way ahead of you." I sighed. 

"Dean? You with us?" Bobby asked.

Dean didn't reply. He just stared down at his seizing brother.

"Dean!" Bobby said.

"Yeah, yeah, Just get it over with." Dean snapped out of it. 

____

I ran my hand up and down Dean's back as we sat on the couch. 

"I'm gonna ask one more time. Are we absolutely sure we're doing the right thing?" Bobby asked, leaning against his desk.

"Bobby, you saw what was happening to him down there." Dean stated, standing up. "The demon blood is killing him."

"No, it isn't. We are." Bobby corrected.

"What?"

"I'm sorry." Bobby shook his head. "I can't bite my tongue any longer. We're killing him. Keeping him locked up down there. This cold turkey thing isn't working. If--If he doesn't get what he needs soon, Sam's not gonna last much longer."

Dean shook his head. "No." He said. "I'm not giving him demon blood. I won't do it."

"And if he dies?"

"Then at least he dies human." Dean said, voice desperate, scared almost.

I sighed, sinking back into the couch. "We'll figure this out."

"I would die for him in a second." Dean continued. "But I won't let him do this to himself. I can't. I guess I found my line." He shook his head, tears brimming his eyes. "I won't let my brother turn into a monster."

____

The sun was sinking down by now. Dean was reading to Evie as she drifted off to sleep. 

I sat down next to him, smiling softly. He read to her every night, Wyatt too though he was already asleep for the night. 

Reading the last line, he shut the book, placing it over on the table by the couch. "You think I'm doing the right thing, Si?" He asked softly, rubbing Evie's back.

"I think you're opting for the lesser of two evils." I said. "I think you're picking between two bad options. I think you're doing your best in a bad situation."

Dean sighed. "I just...I can't watch this happen to him."

"I know." 

"Please tell me you'll stay on the straight and narrow. No shady deals, no talks with angels or demons. No shadow lady stuff. Just...stay clean." Dean said.

I took his hand in mine. "I'll do the best I can. If I'm forced into a bad situation, I'll pick the best option I have. Just like you."

Dean nodded his head. "Whatever keeps you alive, that's what you do."