Chapter 32

Heaven And Hell

Now fully-dressed, I laid against Dean's chest, listening to him breathe as he slept. He stirred a little. He was dreaming. I brushed my fingers through his hair, placing a soft kiss to his cheek. 

He blinked, green eyes meeting mine. He sighed as he brushed his hand up and down my back. "Did you sleep any?" He asked.

"I'm okay." I told him. 

____

Dean took a swig from his flask he kept in his jacket. He'd been drinking a lot more recently. It worried me. The sun had risen by now and Ruby was missing. 

"I don't know, man. Where's Ruby?" Sam paced the floor as I sat next to Dean.

"One less untrustworthy person to deal with." I mumbled.

"Hey, she's your hell buddy." Dean added, taking another swig.

"It's a little early for that, isn't it?" Anna asked, walking over to us.

"It's 2 a.m. somewhere." Dean shrugged. 

"You okay?"

"Yeah, of course."

I tapped my foot against the floor, gripping the knife in my hand.

A gust of wind blew the doors to the barn open, making us stand. Uriel and Cass walked in.

"Hello, Anna. It's good to see you." Castiel greeted. 

"How? How did you find us?" Sam asked.  

Cass's eyes drifted to Dean, who kept his eyes on the ground. I slipped my hand into his, giving it a squeeze.

"Dean?" Sam asked.

"I'm sorry." Dean whispered, looking at Anna.

"Why?" Sam asked.

"Sam." I warned. 

"Because they gave him no choice." Anna stated. "They either kill me or kill you and Saige. I know how their minds work." She turned to Dean, placing a hand on his arm. "You did the best you could. I forgive you." She walked toward Cass and Uriel. "Okay, no more tricks. No more running. I'm ready."

"I'm sorry." Cass apologized. 

"No. You're not." Anna shook her head. "Not really. You don't know the feeling."

"Still, we have a history. It's just..."

"Orders are orders. I know. Just make it quick." Anna cut him off. 

"Don't you touch a hair on that poor girl's head." A voice said.

I spun around to see Alastair with two demons holding Ruby standing behind him. 

Dean grabbed my arm, pulling me out of the way as Uriel walked toward the demons. Ruby was thrown to the ground, blood seeping through her shirt.

"How dare you step in this room, you pussing sore?" Uriel said, moving toward Alastair.

"Name calling? That hurt my feelings." Alastair replied. "You sanctimonious, fanatical prick."

"Turn around and walk away now." Castiel said.

"Sure. Just give us the girl. We'll make sure she gets punished good and proper."

"You know who we are and what we will do." Cass walked toward him. "I won't say it again. Leave now or we lay you to waste."

"I think I'll take my chances." Alastair replied.

A few moments of silence passed before Uriel grabbed one of the demons and shoved him into a beam in the middle of the room.