Chapter 59

Jump The Shark

"Grab your stuff. We'll hit the road." Dean told Adam after we broke into his house that was taped off with yellow caution tape.

Adam nodded his head, walking off through the dark house. He flicked on the kitchen light as he disappeared down the hall.

Sam sat down at the small kitchen table, propping his leg up on another chair. "We shouldn't leave."

"Yeah, and stay here where the kid's mom got ganked." Dean nodded along. "Good one."

"I'm serious." Sam insisted. 

"No, Sam, we're gonna take the kid, drop him off at Bobby's, then you and me are gonna come back here and finish what Dad started." Dean circled the table to the fridge.

We decided that Millie should just take the kids now and leave since we still had to get Adam ready to go. There was a chance whatever it was might attack again. It was safer this way. 

"How? We got no leads, no witnesses." Sam listed off as Dean stared at the photo of Adam and his mom on the fridge.

"We'll figure it out. We always do." I shrugged. "Plus, we're heading to Bobby's. He's the smartest guy I know. He'll help us out."

"He's the smartest guy you know?" Dean asked.

"He's more knowledgeable when it comes to the different type of monsters."

"But we do have what this thing wants." Sam continued. 

Dean turned to look at his brother. "You wanna use the kid as bait? That's why you wanna stay?"

"Maybe this thing will come back. We could train Adam, get him ready." Sam stated.

"Ready for what? To be eaten alive?" I asked. "Sorry but if I murder a person it's gonna be unintentional." 

"She's right. He could die, Sam." Dean placed his hands on the tabletop, leaning down slightly.

"We could all die, Dean." Sam replied. "Even if we do kill this thing, there are tons of other freaks that want revenge. On dad, on us. What if they find the kid instead, and he's not ready?"

"I'll do it." Adam's voice made me look over. He stood in the doorway of the hall. "Whatever it takes, I'll do it. I wanna do it."

_____

"Remember when we were kids and had to do this?" I asked as Dean and I leaned against the car the next morning. We were in the middle of the woods. Sam was standing with Adam, shooting dead center of the metal sign we'd painted a red target on.

"Whoa." Adam mumbled.

"It's ready. Just feel the recoil and time the trigger pulls." Sam told him. "Three taps."

"Yeah, I remember. It was when you shot me." Dean replied.

"Okay, that was one time. I was eight. You were standing in the way." I sighed. 

"You shot me!" 

"You're alive."

Sam handed Adam the gun. "Go ahead."

Adam raised the gun. He missed the sign completely with the first shot but hit the inner circle of the target with the last three. 

Dean shook his head, rolling his eyes.

"That at me or them?" I asked.

"Both." Dean replied.

"Beginner's luck, right?" Adam asked.