Chapter 8

In The Beginning

Saige's pov

I woke up when I felt the bed shift. I looked over to see Dean rolling onto his side, eye twitching.

He's having a nightmare.

I wish I could take it away.

"Saige." I jumped at the sound of Cass' voice.

"Dude, how long have you been standing there?" I turned to face him.

"Not long."

"Oh."

"Hello, Dean." Castiel greeted as Dean jumped awake. "What were you dreaming about?"

Dean scoffed. "What, you get your freak on by watching other people sleep? What do you want?"

"Listen to me." Cass began as I slipped out of bed and moved toward the coffee machine. "You have to stop it."

"Stop what?"

Castiel reached out, placing two fingers against my head and two on Dean's.

The world went dark.

"Move it, bubby." a voice said.

I blinked open my eyes, realizing Dean and I were slumped against each other on a bench on the side of the road. A police officer stood behind the bench.

"You can't sleep here." He told us.

"Okay. Sleep where?" Dean asked.

"Anywhere but here."

Dean dug through his leather jacket until finding his phone. He flipped it open. 'No signal' flashed across the screen.

I pulled mine from my pocket. Again, no signal.

"Perfect." Dean muttered, eyes landing on the diner across the street. He stood, slipping on his leather jacket. Dean slung an arm over my shoulder as we made our way toward the diner.

We walked inside. The song Rambling Man played through the jukebox. We sat down at the counter next to a guy with short, dark hair.

"Hey, where the hell are we?" Dean asked him after rubbing his eyes.

"Jaybird's Diner." The man answered.

"Yeah. Thanks. I mean city and state." Dean corrected.

"Lawrence, Kansas."

"Lawrence."

"What the hell are we doing here?" I whispered to Dean.

"I don't know. It was your angel buddy that zapped us here." Dean whispered back.

"Hey, you okay, buddy?" The man asked.

"Yeah. Tough night." Dean rubbed his head.

"Hey, uh, two coffees here, Reg." The man called out.

Dean pulled his phone out. "Can you, uh, tell me where I can get reception on this thing?"

The man scoffed. "The USS Enterprise."

A man in a colorful button up and a fur vest over it placed a cup of coffee down in front of Dean and I. He had a mustache and large glasses resting on his nose.

"Thanks." Dean said. "Nice threads. You know Sonny and Cher broke up, right?" He chuckled.

"Sonny and Cher broke up?" The man beside us asked in a serious voice.

I looked around the diner then. By the sense of fashion everyone had, it seemed we were in the 70s.

"Si." Dean tapped my arm. He nodded to the newspaper the man next to us held.