Chapter 37

Criss Angel Is A Douchebag

"Find anything interesting?" Dean asked as we joined Sam and Millie back at the restaurant/bar where the magic show was going to happen.

"What?" Sam asked. "Uh...No. You?"

"Nothing I want to talk about or think about ever again." Dean replied. "Hey, Kiddo." He lifted Evie into his arms.

"I am thoroughly traumatized now." I added as we walked down the stairs toward Vernon and Charlie.

"The Chief, huh?" Dean asked.

"What's the matter? Chief not your type?" Charlie asked.

Dean chuckled humorlessly. "You know, I could have you both arrested for obstruction of justice."

"How? You're no fed." Vernon said.

"Yeah, we con people for a living, son." Charlie added. "It takes more than a fake badge to get past us."

Sam, Dean and I all laughed nervously. 

"You got us. Yeah, we are actually...aspiring magicians." Dean lied.

"Yeah, we came to the convention because we thought we could learn something." Sam added.

"Yeah, get some new ideas for our new show." I shrugged.

"Ooh, what kind of show?" Vernon asked.

"It's--It's a--" Dean stuttered.

"It's a brother act." Sam said.

"I'm just an assistant. Sparkly costume, cutting them in half, you know." I said.

"Yeah. Yeah, you know, with the rings and the doves...and rings." Dean continued.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Incredible Jay." The announcer says, drawing out attention to the stage.

"You wanna learn something? Stick around." Charlie told us before walking off.

"Ladies and gentlemen, what you're about to witness is a feat so daring, even the great Houdini dared not attempt it." Jay said as he walked on stage. "I give to you the Executioner." 

A noose swung down form the wooden beam that was set up on stage.

Jay then invited someone up onto the stage to help him into a straightjacket.

Sam, Dean, Millie and I found a table to sit at.

"Sir, as you can see, this jacket is the real article." Jay said as the noose was placed around his neck. "Thank you, sir. You may take your seat."

"Now, I will have one minute--sixty seconds--to escape certain death." Jay told us all. "Let's see if I can do it."

Charlie closed the curtains as the lights dimmed, leaving us with only Jay's shadow to watch as the clock began.

Time ticked by and Jay still struggled to get free.

"I don't think he's gonna make it." Dean said, placing a hand over Evie's eyes.

A buzzer beeped and the noose gave way. The crowd yelled out as Charlie pulled back the curtains.

Jay stood there, alive and well.

The crowd aplauded, all standing.

"Oh, that was amazing. That was freaking amazing." Dean exclaimed, smiling as he clapped his hand together.

Evie copied his actions.

"That was...not humanly possible." Sam stated.

"It's magic, Sammy." I said.